Thread: Rear bumber bar

Rear bumber bar

I assume these rear bumber bars were USA-model thing, but was it original porsche option or a dealer one? What years were these used and why?

Name:  WP_20141220_001.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  51.7 KB

That's an aftermarket bar made by Amco that mounts between the rear overidders.. Not factory but, I guess dealers could have provided them as an aftermarket accessory.

The only factory bar for the rear is a single bar that mounts to the top rear face of the rear overidders.

Oh and could be placed on US cars up to 73.5 when the metal overidders gave way to the Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Here's a vintage Amco ad from the January 1967 Car & Driver (which had Car & Driver's first review of the 911S):

Name:  CD_Jan67_AMCO_ps.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  172.4 KB

Their wooden gearshift knobs were almost obligatory. The rear Amco bars were very popular on early 911s and 912s; the front bumper bar for Porsches was--at best--an acquired taste.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Mike is not quite correct. In I believe '70 continuing thru '72 Porsche produced its own version of the Aamco bar. Instead of end plates they drilled directly into the over riders thus making the over riders part of the assembly. I have seen the '71 parts catalog which offers this option. I have two of them (one on my 912 coupe) and one saved for my 912 targa. Met a guy at Hershey who also had one. Don't know if they did anything for the front. Aamco front is damn handy in NYC where the a--holes think nothing of backing the SUV's into you hood. At least they have to be really tall to go over the Aamco bar and it you hood about 9" from its latch point.

My rear bars are two separate pieces. They don't look like the Amco brand. Anybody have any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1969 911E Coupe
    1973 914S
    1977 911S Hot Rod
    1979 930 Turbo Coupe
    1987 Carrera Coupe
    1988 944S2 "Firehawk" Race Car
    2000 Ferrari 360 Modena (Totaled!)
    2002 Suburban 2500(Tow Vehicle)
    2016 BMW M3(Dailey Driver)

Your rear bar is what I was referring to in #4 above. Front I have seen but don't know whether factory or otherwise. Suspect factory since your rears are factory correct.

Two factory designs existed.

1969 MY Accessories,
    Earlier version w one bar front and rear.

-

1970&1971 MY Accessories.
    Later version w one bar front, two bars rear.

Last edited by 911T1971; 12-29-2014 at 01:24 PM.
    Registry member No.773