Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: help ID upper door garnish molding

I believe all the dashes and garnish rails being sold here in the states are Lakewell. I tried their garnish rails and they didn't fit properly against the vent window. I am not 100% sure they are Lakewell, as vendors don't tell you where they are from. But, having spent a fair amount of money experimenting different retailers I only assume they are.

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your reply. Is your car a Targa? hence the windows vents? Could we assume that they might fit better on a coupe?
    Membership # 3163

1973 911 S coupe
    1985 3.2 carrera coupe (Gone)
    1972 911 S targa (Gone)
    1974 911 (Gone)
    1966 912 Coupe (Gone)

I have a coupe. Lakewell does not make 2 different ones, (coupe,targa), just one size fits all.

Quote Originally Posted by L.a.Brooks View Post
    It's still from a 1968
    No it is not. 69 to very early 70. I am right on this one.

was it ever clarified when the molded garnish rails were introduced in MY72?

I have searched for photos but I can not find! In my 72 it looks wrapped.
    Attach photo when you get home!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren65 View Post
    Could be........or could be that your car has had later tops fitted!

In all seriousness I wouldn't have a clue although the car had been laid up since the 80's before I acquired it, nothing special about it and never restored. It obviously could have had the tops replaced at some point although that would be odd as nothing else was cared for?

That said if the molded door tops were introduced at the start of 72MY production then mine must have been switched?

Cheers,
    Yours have been switched Darren...take that to the bank
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Itīs still an open question for me, when the change to the moulded version was.

I bought my 11/71 coupe with wrapped tops. The former long time owner didnīt spend a pence for the interior restoration. And the tops look really used with faded parts, loose vinyl etc.

Found a moulded version for the passenger side.
    Looks very matt compared to the installed wrapped one. I remember that the moulded version of the Targa, that I posted last year, had been also been very matt.

The installed rear tops look very shinny and matched well with the wrapped front tops.

Installed the matt moulded top looks out of line with the rest of the interior parts.

Had there also been a moulded rear top?

He must have Dirk. 72 year model had moulded door tops same as the dash
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6