Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

Ok, time to start on the chassis. I've been saving this chassis for awhile. It must have been rolled early in it's life because there is very little rust. Someone cut out the front pan but I suspect by today's standard it probably wasn't very rusty. I plan to cut this at the back seat area and mate to the 550 frame, the frame was made in the 80's I think, so not original but it looks close enough. I loose fitted the front panels, everything is way way off, but you get the idea.
    Hoping to make big progress next week, stay tuned.

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Looking good - an interesting challenge!!!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Ok, full steam ahead, all we are working on this week at Unobtanium HQ is the 550 project. Big progress today, sliced the 356 chassis in half and got the 550 frame in place. Next is mating the two. Big John kept asking me how we are going to do it and what have other people done. No good answers there...

Stay tuned.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

Today was slower than I had hoped. I assumed I could use 356 spring plates to hold in the gearbox. But unknown to me, the 550 ones are longer, a lot longer. 29" in all. So we chopped up four to make two. It came together nicely, but it wasn't fast. Hoping to get the gearbox in tomorrow and start working on seaming up the two pieces. It's hard when you're going into the unknown.

---Adam

Were the spring plates drilled to make them lighter? I seem to recall a photo that showed them drilled ...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    Were the spring plates drilled to make them lighter? I seem to recall a photo that showed them drilled ...
    I think some of the early Werks cars had those drilled but I also heard that they were pretty flexible and the solid ones were preferred.

---Adam

Today was a slower pace of day. Stupid stuff like needing the correct mounts for the gearbox, both off the shelf and having to fab up mounts, made for slow work. Also worked on the front clip. The hood opening is going to need some tweeking to go from the C hood shape to the 550, but it's close enough to make it work. Hopefully we get the parts in first thing in the morning and can keep grinding.

---Adam

Today was a productive day with times of frustration. You need special mounts to install the gearbox, I found them and had some overnighted but my UPS guy didn't drop them until 3PM. UPS red label used to be mean by 10 or noon at the latest, apparently big brown isn't what it used to be. Big John worked on the gearbox, getting it in place and fabing up new mounts for the back. I worked on the front of the car, cutting and fitting. All in all a good day, more tomorrow. Hoping to mate the two ends on Friday and have this be a roller.

One thing that was really cool today was a reminder that Porsche doesn't change things if they don't have to. Like when you can put a fender from a 85 911 on a 68 911, or how you can put an engine from a 64 356 into a 53 356. Some stuff just stays the same. I have the original front inner fenders for the 550 and tried fitting them. They literally fell right into place, a Porsche front beam is a Porsche front beam, doesn't matter if it's a 550 Spyder or a C Coupe, it was amazing!

---Adam

Today flowed much better than yesterday. We got the gearbox in and got the wheels on. Vic will probably recognize the box, he built it.
    We had enough day left to get a game plan for tomorrow on the mating of the two chassis pieces.
    Hopefully on Saturday it will be one rolling chassis.

Stay tuned.

---Adam

Very cool thread....following with interest