Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

Today was momentous even if it doesn't seem so. One of the last big obstacles to the build and one that has been worrying me was the shift linkage. I had decided to go with a 644 gearbox but while converting it to 550 mid engine is easy enough by flipping the ring gear the real obstacle is I couldn't find anyone who had made linkage for tail shifting of one. 550's used a gearbox like the 519, lots of linkage there but it won't work on a 644. Most of the aftermarket stuff out there is set up for a VW Type 1 gearbox, so no help there either. So after consulting with many folks I decided to do a cable shift system because of the versatility in the setup and adjustment. I found one that was set up for a Type 1 gearbox and decided to see if I could modify it. Geoff Fleming started the process, making some custom brackets and changes and the baton was passed to Bill Haupt who tried many things, some worked some didn't. But by the end of today we could shift in all four gears. The end result looks pretty good too. My car is on top, Bill's car 550-0054 is on bottom. So one of the last great obstacles of this really hard build is not behind me and it feels pretty good!
    ---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Congrats Adam !! What a fun project !!
    George Kehler in Tennessee

1955 356 coupe
    1971 911S (knee deep in restoration)
    1997 993 Targa

great .... maybe you can drive it in 2024
    initialy you had said you would not finish/paint the car...............

Quote Originally Posted by bob joyce View Post
    great .... maybe you can drive it in 2024
    initialy you had said you would not finish/paint the car...............
    I may eventually paint it but I plan to keep it raw for at least a few years once I get it finished.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

Bill and I are steadily checking off systems that are now operational. We spent the last two sessions working on the e-brake. The unit we have is very nice and a very faithful reproduction. I had new cables but they are set up for a 356, so we had to make some modifications. The first was while the ring gear in the gearbox had been flipped this wasn't everything we had to change. The backing plates had to be swapped so the e-brake cable would mount correctly. Then we had to add some fabbed up collars to the cable where it hits the firewall. Then Bill had to get really creative and fab up a yoke for the two cables to join. It all came out really nice and works really well. Next I think we're going to work on the throttle linkage, then brakes. It's getting closer!

---Adam

After so many years working on this project I've learned patience. I've also learned some days are fast and dramatic, and some days are slow and tedious. This week was fairly tedious. Bill and I had to create linkage for the throttle which luckily we can copy from his car. Once we saw what we had to do we scavenged two pivot points from the back of 356 fan housings, they are the same as the 550 ones. Porsche is very predictable sometimes. We used those parts and then had to fabricate rods with ball joints and even some little boomerang pieces. But the good news is we got most of it done and it's almost identical to the real 550 linkage.

---Adam

Adam
    Enjoying this build …especially the little details and creative solutions
    More please
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Another major accomplishment has been done, we now have throttle control. While it looks fairly mundane it's pretty complex.
    First we had to run the rod from the pedal back through the firewall.
    Second we had to secure a pivot to that rod.
    Third we have to run a rod up from there to another pivot.
    Fourth we ran a rod to yet another pivot attached to the motor.
    Fifth we ran side to side rods to open the carbs.

So lots of fabricated brackets and rods but it is almost identical to the way Porsche did it in the 550 Spyder. It's authentic all the way down to the pivots we used came off 356 fan shrouds so true Porsche parts. You can really see Bill's attention to detail when you look at the side by side shots. 550-0054 on the left, my car on the right.
    Next stop brakes and clutch then hopefully a test drive!

---Adam

If the orange strap breaks you have a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    If the orange strap breaks you have a problem!
    i would be more concerned about the guy operating the torch and angle grinder next to the shelf with valuable paper stuff...but hey it`s none of my business...