Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Torsion Bar Splines - Help

Front Torsion Bar Splines - Help

I am in the process of installing the front suspension on my '70E restoration project and ran into a problem while trying to install the RHS torsion bar in the RHS A-arm. I cannot get the splines to line up. I tried to put the RHS torsion bar into the LHS control arm to check the fit and the splines line up nicely.

I took a close look at the spines in the RHS A-arm (I have the front caps off) and found that instead of 30 splines like the LHS A-arm it had only 29 splines. See the attached pic and count them yourself just to check that I am not suffering from brain fade.

These A-arms are obviously not original to the car since I am replacing the hydro-pnuematic system with Koni struts and torsion bars. I have never seen an A-arm with 29 splines. I would not think that I have a hydro-pneumatic RHS A-arm as these would not have splines inside as best I know.

Anyone have an idea what is going on here?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Can you post a picture of the two arms? My guess is 914 A-arms but I really don't know.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Probably 914-4. Was this a Hydro suspension car? I've seen Hydro cars with 914 A arms, as torsion bars weren't used, they didn't care. Gled

Here is a pic of the suspicious A-arm. Looks identical to a 911 arm to me. Fits perfectly on the 911 chassis. A friend on Pelican has identified the 29 spline arm as a 914-4 arm. Can anyone confirm that the 914-4 used a 29 spline/tbar?

If so, just my luck as I sold my last RHS 911 u-tab A-arm last week.

Thanks for the help.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

914s do have a different spline count.
    I forgot the spline number but we had to stock separate bars for the 914s.....
    Jim will know the spline count for sure....
    (that was part of our inexpensive changeover for the hydro pneumatic susp conv)
    H

914s have 29 splines and 911s and 914/6s (cause it uses 911T front struts) have 30.

Regards

Jim

36 year PCA member
    Thank you every one. 30 splines = 911,912 and 914/6. 29 splines = 914/4

Parts book fwiw:
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Anyone Know if 914/4s ever came with the U tab for anti sway bars? I know some T’s didn’t have the U tabs.....cliff
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Anyone Know if 914/4s ever came with the U tab for anti sway bars? I know some T’s didn’t have the U tabs.....cliff
    Yes. 914/4s had the U tabs