Thread: I discovered a 1969 911s targa. Need advice.

I discovered a 1969 911s targa. Need advice.

Hi guys, this is my first post though I've been reading this forum for a while now and have to thank you all for the wealth of info I've gleaned as I have researched my current 70T project.

While out and about in LA recently, chasing parts for my 70, I stumbled across a very badly bastardized 69S targa. Some time in the nineties it was given an SC convertible make over but a quick check of the numbers confirms it as a 69 S Targa with a 69S motor. From my initial inspection I can tell you that there us little to nothing left of the original interior, all body panels are wrong with the exception of maybe the doors. I haven't heard it run but the owner claims it does. I haven't looked closely at suspension of brakes yet. If I were to purchase it I'd basically be buying a bare chassis and engine (and hopefully running gear to match). Now, after piecing together my 70 I am under no illusion as to how much a restoration would cost and the guy is asking a lot of money for the car...but.....its a bit of a holy grail car for me so I'm tempted.

My question is, what S specific parts should I be looking for outside of the engine, trans and chassis? How many hard to find/expensive parts were fitted to a 69S above and beyond the cars lower down the line.

And finally, and I know it's a question which may stir a lot of emotion, in today's market, roughly how much is a (potentially matching numbers) 69S Targa tub and engine worth. I only ask this to get a measure of how over priced, or not, this guy may be.

I hope to go back and take a really close look at the car this week now that I have run the numbers with positive results, I'll try to grab some photos to share with you all at that point.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom,

All the best

Felix.

If he wants a lot of money, don't walk away, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Orval_F View Post
    If he wants a lot of money, don't walk away, RUN!
    How about telling us what "a lot of money" is.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

I guess your question really is "what is special to a 1969 911S?". I'd be interested in seeing the collective wisdom in response to that question.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Thanks Schiefer, that's exactly what I was looking for but couldn't find anything with a search. This is great.

The guys wants 50k. He isn't going to get it but before I even attempt to go back with a sensible counter I'd like to know what I'm looking at to make a fair assessment.

I already have quite a few parts for my 70t (rear quarters, engine cover, hood, lights etc) can anyone tell me how many of these parts are interchangeable with a 69? How many of them are date coded? Just trying to do some math in my head to figure out whether I'm contemplating biting off more than I can chew.....

I think youve got the big stuff covered.

Quote Originally Posted by FelixHolst View Post
    . . . guys wants 50k. He isn't going to get it but before I even attempt to go back with a sensible counter I'd like to know what I'm looking at to make a fair assessment . . .
    Hm

Wonder how all this turned-out . . .

. . . woulda been nice to see a VIN published, too

We Can Be Heroes