Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '15 LA Lit Show / Open House weekend

'15 LA Lit Show / Open House weekend

It seems quite a few have already posted photos from their visit to the LA show last weekend, therefor I don't think it would be appropriate to hijack someone else's thread and slide my images and comments in after theirs.

Here is a brief snapshot of the events I attended and enjoyed. I'm only posting a small portion of the hundreds of shots I took here, since I'm submitting most to John Dilger at the Registry for potential inclusion in the next issues of the ESSES, and want to be sure none are duplicated.

1. Started out early Friday at Wilhoit's before they even opened their doors to the public. Definitely one of the highlights of the entire weekend……and where customers with an appointment could get their cars dynoed on a new, highly accurate mobile set-up for a very reasonable fee..

2. Continued on to S. Hougue's small, but extremely well organized shop which contains some real treasures, and from which emanates some of the best metal-work available anywhere today.

3. On Saturday morning it's the mainstay of the weekend, the L. A. Literature Show at the LAX Hilton. This year's edition was by far the most well-attended ( read crowded ) ever, with pretty much all prices continuing their unchecked climb into nose-bleed territory.

4. Saturday afternoon it was on to Carpark in Costa Mesa. Henk always features some notable examples of very early cars and this edition was no exception, in fact, I'd say the quality of their work has climbed to an even higher level than previously….. as have their prices.

5. Saturday evening is the traditional European Collectibles gathering. Great venue, more of a social gathering than a car-viewing event with real 'Who's who' attendance and arguably the best munchies anywhere. Most of the cars were equally exceptional.

6. Finished the weekend at the Phoenix Club Swap Meet - what a great event and what an even better venue. Thanks to Jeff Trask's organization this evgent is always a grand way to finish up before departing for home.
    You just know when you wind up next to a VW Phaetom upon arrival in the parking lot it's gonna be a good day. This very easily could have wound up being Wolfsburg's Edsel, but brilliant marketing and timing turned this huge investment from abject failur at VW into the spectacularly succesful and profitable Bentley Continental Series of cars….W12 and all.

The first set is from my visit to Wilhoit.

Thanks for looking

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 03-13-2015 at 10:49 AM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Next stop…………Steve Hogue's shop. If you appreciate real mastery in metal work, meticulous research and authenticity, and getting a worthwhile subject ready for the quality of paintjob it deserves - this is your shop.

Current projects include a Porsche R, Ser.# 019, an early Jaguar XK 120, a couple of real, early 427 Shelby Cobras, the '49 prototype Lancia Aurelia, and rebodying a 550 Spyder.

Steve is a delight to talk to, most informative and reflects a deep love and knowledge for his work and the projects entrusted to him.

JZG

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

Some random shots from the LA Lit show at the LAX Hilton. This has always been a great venue, very convenient for the folks who fly in from all over the globe, as well as domestic visitors who fly in, but this year's event revealed for the first time the fact that it has reached and probably exceeded the capacity of the two halls and part of the lobby to contain all the vendors and visitors. The current arrangement provides for $30.00 for an "Early Bird" ticket and allows entry at 7:00 AM. A much more nominal $10,00 charge for regular attendance commences at 9:00 Am. The problem is that a lot of visitors now get up and come early & cough up the higher price in order to just be able to check out what's on offer, so that by 9:00 AM when the doors are thrown open to the more casual visitors, the good stuff has been bought up by the "pros" who enter early.

I think this was the first year that the show was simply too crowded to fully enjoy. The shoving, inability to navigate the aisles and general discomfort were just too much to really enjoy and made saturating the whole affair difficult. I'm convinced that many potential exhibitors were turned away bcause they were late in registering for a space,even though more space than ever before was dedicated and made available to the Porsche contingent.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 03-13-2015 at 11:41 AM.

…………..and a second set - because it's a really big show.

Next on my personal agenda was Carpark, the restoration facility in Costa Mesa, virtually down the street from European Collectibles and several other open houses. These folks have long specialized in very early 911s, with a significant portion of their output winding up in Europe. Their work has always been of a high caliber, but as a personal observation not intended to be overly critical and mean-spirited, it has always seemed to me in the past that their paint, even through well applied was too thick for a credible restoration finish. It finally appears that issue ( and I emphasize that it may have been nothing more than my own hyper-critical 'take' on their paint efforts ) has been adressed because the paintjobs on the exhibited cars this time around appeared more pleasing and of more nominal / correct thickness.

The 'golden green' coupe in particular stood out as genuinely beautiful and well-done car.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 03-13-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Next stop, the always enjoyable and getting-better European Collectibles Open House. Perfect time of the day, i.e. later in the afternoon, unlike last year when it was cool, overcast and it rained, this year the weather was glorious, the cars up to the usual high standards, grand selection of very nice examples other than Porsche and really good, fresh hot food……so you can comfortably skip dinner and stay and chat & enjoy good company and not worry about having to find a restaurant on Saturday night.

If you ever have doubts about making a trip to the 'Show' from other parts of the country, you should consider coming if for no other reason than the evening Open House at EC……..more of a cocktail party atmosphere actually, with an opportunity to view a Hell of a car collection thrown in.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 03-13-2015 at 11:48 AM.

As always...awesome shots, John! Thanks!!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

……and the second set from EC.

And for a big finish with a flourish……..4 sets from the Phoenix Club Swap Meet.

The 2nd set……..