Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Minne - a 72 build thread

mad scientist

Project Minne - a 72 build thread

Definition: Minneola. A tangy cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit. They are odd shaped, larger than their cousin's and are known for being quite juicy.

So, Minne (pronounced like Minnie, as in mouse) is a 1972 911T in tangerine, non-sunroof coupe roller. I have no idea what the interior color is other than an ivory headliner - because there is no interior. There is no motor. This is the perfect start to build a tangy, early car.

These cars are still out there. It just takes some searching. Here are a few pictures.

What is that behind the bushes?

Oh, its a 911.

Loaded on the trailer. At least the tires held air long enough to roll onto the trailer.

First order of business. Fix some rust. Rear deck? Its not there.

Really, Its not there. The car sat outside without glass for many years.

This is a relatively easy panel to replace and the sheet metal came with the car.

Other rust areas...

Front pan? Yep, just like many other pre galvanized cars it needs to be replaced.
    Front pedal cluster? mostly clean but needs a patch.
    Front tunnel section? Well, water pooled in the front section so it needs some attention.

Otherwise, The car is structurally solid.

Rockers? Clean as can be.
    Lateral tank supports? Look like new.
    Exterior? Yes. needs to be completely stripped but it is straight.

What are my plans? I am guessing 18 months for bodywork and paint. Then I can consider what the options are for suspension and drivetrain. No way this car will get restored to original. Its just not all there. I am not sure what I will do yet but I have many ideas. I have plenty of time to think about it.

It will probably be a parts bin car. Meaning, I will look in my parts bin (Garage, storage, shed, etc) to see what I have. There are a few motors, transmission and other choices. Interior will be spartan but have some creature comforts. Somewhat a spicy variant of street rod, track car and GT car. Fully capable and plenty of juice. A perfect match to her name.

Not sure when the next update will be. Probably a picture of the tub on an octisserie to work on the underside.

Wherever I end up it will be a fun, and often frustrating journey.
    1971 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Machine
    1972 911T - "Minne" painted and undergoing assembly.

mad scientist
    I am fully aware of the road ahead. I am not scared. I have been down this road a few times - even saving the early cars before the current market value. I just enjoy these types of projects.

I went through a mental inventory of parts last night. Let's see if any of these will go on the car...

EXTERIOR:
    NOS RS rear flares? HMMM. Minneolas are bigger (wider) than a stock tangerine. Could be something good for Minne. This of course means more wheel and tire.
    RS front bumper? Fiberglass and needs some work but it has an oil cooler cutout for much needed auxiliary cooling in TX.

DRIVETRAIN:
    3.2SS motor? Likely candidate but I already had this in the ST a few years ago.
    2.4E motor? Perfect compression for a street motor but does not meet my end HP goals.
    late Carrera 915 transmission? Has a bad R&P.
    7:31 R&P? Makes a good match with my parts transmission.
    Factory LSD? HMM. That will help if I keep the tub narrow.
    Borg Warner S200SX? Now that would be an excellent match to the 2.4E. If you don't know that that is. Look it up. (Hint: Will help me meet my HP goals).

INTERIOR:
    GTS ST Seats? Yes, saved from a previous project. Comfortable and supportive.
    RS Carpet set? Sitting in a box waiting for some glue and stretching.

SUSPENSION:
    28mm Sanders Hollow rear bars? About right for this car.
    19mm Through body front Sway bar? Same as the torsion bars
    Adjustable rear spring plates? Necessary for easy corner balance.

Tub:
    Usual and some new chassis reinforcements? Want to greatly stiffen the tub with minimal intrusion for the interior. There will not be a roll bar or cage in this one. I have some ideas and I will weld them in place.

So, the parts bin is looking like it can supply most of the missing parts. I have almost a complete car stashed around - minus the tub.

mad scientist
    And now its time for the rest of the story...

Last year for Christmas (2013) my wife gave me a "yes" button. Huh!? That's right an actual YES button to go forth and find a new project car. I like building things including cars and I was looking for something new to get my hands dirty. The deal came with a "Terms and Conditions" sheet about condition, price, perceived value, etc.

While I bought the car last summer, it was not Official since it was stored at a friends house fore a few months while I waited for time to free up. Well, it was time.

Yesterday, Minne came home and I officially cashed in my YES button.

The ceremony was simple. A few words were said. my wife made a bunch of jokes about the condition. And then I unloaded the trailer where I then heard the comment "I know where you will be for the next year and a half." Yes, I have to agree.

I then took advantage of the fantastic Austin February weather and worked on the car. First, I had to swap out to my roller wheels. The wheels from delivery go back to the PO. At least I had my favorite helper. Maybe Minne will drive before he gets to drive. Let's hope so. Either way, I enjoyed a great afternoon with my son.

Then I loaded it on the lift and started the transformation. At the end of the day the tub was basically stripped of body panels. No doors, not fenders, no hood, no decklid. Just a rolling tub.

I have to keep it rolling for now until I build either the dolly/cart or Octisserie. I have not decided which. My garage does not really support the extra width of a hoop around the car.

mad scientist
    So, once I had removed some stuff it was time for an analysis of what to get.

1. Front pan is non-existent.

At least the rust did not migrate into the inner fender well.

pass battery box has a hole. No worries. This will be removed for an oil cooler. I might cut both sides for dual coolers.

2. Rear deck. Yes, its a mess. I have the full replacement panel including seat pans ready to go in.

Yes, that is the transmission you see through the holes. Should be straightforward to cut this all out and replace. The worst is that it is a big panel and hard to handle.

3. Paint. I had to see how much of the original paint was left. The paint is badly oxidized. I started with some degreaser and then followed with soap and water.

There is just something about the way that Tangerine glows in sunlight. It can't wait to see this painted.

mad scientist
    Today I started the process of adding weight back to the car today. What? No, I am not bolting new parts on the car. In fact, I removed some rusty metal. Below is the result of 25 minutes and 5 cut-off wheels in my grinder. I have a feeling I need to go buy stock in an abrasives company the way I am going to go through consumables.

What a difference this makes in how the car looks and presents itself. That rusty rear deck kinda slapped you in the face like an iron oxide flyswatter. Funny that this did actually happen as I was squatting in the empty engine bay when the panel came down.

I will let the pictures speak for themselves right now.

There is so much access to the rear of the car. Maybe I will just make a clear cover and pretend I have a prancing horse drivetrain in the back. Nah, I will however, do some reinforcements to the torsion tube and heel panel. Yes, I have a new heel panel on the way. I am not quite ready to cut that one out just yet. I have to tidy up the engine bay.

So here is a comparison of what was left of the old seat pans and what will be replacing it. This is why I mentioned adding weight. Now about that color. Do you think Signal Green will clash with Tangerine?

I am trying to make as many cuts to rusty metal as I can. I have a plan to have a mobile wet-blasting company come out in the next few weeks to strip the tub. I would rather not have them blast the rusty metal that I know is coming out anyway for replacement. So, I will make strategic cuts to minimize the time of the blaster.

I also am going to try and build a rolling dolly this weekend so that car is more mobile and I can drop the suspension off.

Feels good to make some progress.

Congrats Jamie. Glad you got your hands on the '72. If anyone can get her back together it's you. All the best. I'll be watching the progress. Best, Sean

Very good news for one old Porsche! We'll be watching...
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa

Subscribed
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

Quote Originally Posted by 91133 View Post
    Subscribed
    Ditto.....
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478

Big project! This car is lucky you found it.

Good luck.
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167