Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Minne - a 72 build thread

Looks like a great project. Subscribed

Jamie, do you have a way to roll it around as well?
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

mad scientist
    Yes, there are castor wheels but they were not yet attached during the test "roll".

If I make another one it will be cut down in dimension slightly to clear the garage door while on rollers. There is plenty of length available to shorten the overall hoop structure and still be quite stable.
    1971 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Machine
    1972 911T - "Minne" painted and undergoing assembly.

mad scientist
    It has been a while since I have posted an update. The octisserie is great. I put the car into the garage tail first and that meant I had access to the inside of the PS rocker/floor seams. Welding was mostly easy since I am looking straight down and gravity is on my side. I hate fighting gravity with a puddle of molten metal.

After welding the seam it was time to flip the car over and around. So the car was rolled outside, then rotated nose first.

While it was out my son was trying to flip the car. He gave it a really good try but was just not strong enough. Of course, I did not not tell him that pulling was much more difficult than lifting and pushing forward.

Once it was back in the garage flipping it is as easy as one...

two... (produce your own mental image of a car locked at 45 deg).

three...

I have put marks on the floor so that when I tip up the car it places the hoops about an inch from the wall without touching. Perfect positioning.

Since the car was flipped around I decided it was time to spend some time welding and grinding. Not much longer I was finished. I have welded the butt-weld seams all the way around the pedal cluster. and up into the center tunnel. Feels good to have floors finished.

Next step is to start reinforcements to the rear shock tower, torsion tube, center tunnel and a few other sections. Then I will start installing the rear deck and heel panel. This was a huge panel and I hope progress will be a little faster from this point forward.

mad scientist
    The floors are basically done so I am moving on to reinforcements. I am triangulating the corners of the rear shock tower. Interesting to see how bad the fit is of this panel. Huge gaps top and bottom. Not sure if this is due to previous damage, wear, old age or just plane poor fit. So, I hammered the seams and welded them up.

There are a total of 6 gussets. one front and rear (each) at the lower section of the shock tower to longitudinal. One rear on the top of the shock tower between the tower and what will be my rear deck section.

Next up is reinforcement of the top of the shock tower where it sits on the longitudinal and actual shock mount reinforcements. Yes, the standard type RSR reinforcements. Then I will move on to tie the center tunnel to the torsion tube.

I have to complete all this before I weld in the heel panel and rear deck.

mad scientist
    Hard to believe it has been so long since I posted an update. It is not from lack of effort though the project has slowed some. Let's see how the past few months have gone.

The last post was in July. In TX that means the sun is high and the temps are higher. YOu reach a point when you sweat so much that you are a hazard to yourself while welding. It only takes only once (long ago) to realize that salty sweat and high voltage do not mix. So... No welding for the rest of the summer.

Fall arrives and I have too many other projects to work on my car. It happens.

So, September rolls around and I start liking the cooler weather and get back to work.

First up is more tub reinforcements. The first was the installation of the Elephant Racing rear shock tower reinforcements. I am pleased with the parts and the installation. There are a few minor difference I would make if I fabbed them but not enough to spend the time cutting.

I do not plan to run coil overs any time soon but it is a possibility. Additionally I finished triangulating all 8 corners of the stock tower. While the rear deck is out there is great access to everything.

Next up was to connect the center tunnel to the torsion tube. This was simple to take a section of 1/8" strap steel and radius it to fill the gap. This connection started with the RS/RSR chassis and was later incorporated as a simple "ear" that connected the corners to the torsion tubes on the SC and later tubs. The early cars did not have this as stock. Mine is an adaptation and will easily fill the void. btw, the radius of the torsion tube is OH SO CLOSE to the radius of the tunnel. Yes, I used the torsion tube as an anvil.

Now that the rear reinforcement panels were in place it was time to test fit the rear deck panel and heel panel. It all fits well. There will need to be some adjustments around the edges but it only took a few clamps and screws to have it fitting tight. So satisfying to see that large hole filled up.

mad scientist
    Hard to believe it has been so long since I posted an update. It is not from lack of effort though the project has slowed some. Let's see how the past few months have gone.

The last post was in July. In TX that means the sun is high and the temps are higher. YOu reach a point when you sweat so much that you are a hazard to yourself while welding. It only takes only once (long ago) to realize that salty sweat and high voltage do not mix. So... No welding for the rest of the summer.

Fall arrives and I have too many other projects to work on my car. It happens.

So, September rolls around and I start liking the cooler weather and get back to work.

First up is more tub reinforcements. The first was the installation of the Elephant Racing rear shock tower reinforcements. I am pleased with the parts and the installation. There are a few minor difference I would make if I fabbed them but not enough to spend the time cutting.

I do not plan to run coil overs any time soon but it is a possibility. Additionally I finished triangulating all 8 corners of the stock tower. While the rear deck is out there is great access to everything.

Next up was to connect the center tunnel to the torsion tube. This was simple to take a section of 1/8" strap steel and radius it to fill the gap. This connection started with the RS/RSR chassis and was later incorporated as a simple "ear" that connected the corners to the torsion tubes on the SC and later tubs. The early cars did not have this as stock. Mine is an adaptation and will easily fill the void. btw, the radius of the torsion tube is OH SO CLOSE to the radius of the tunnel. Yes, I used the torsion tube as an anvil.

Now that the rear reinforcement panels were in place it was time to test fit the rear deck panel and heel panel. It all fits well. There will need to be some adjustments around the edges but it only took a few clamps and screws to have it fitting tight. So satisfying to see that large hole filled up.

mad scientist
    Before the heel panel could be installed it had to be fit and the rear ground post lug installed. That was drilled hole and some brazing to fit. Don't forget the washer on the backside for proper electrical contact.

Before I put the heel panel in I had to fix some rust. There was a section of the floor rust that had migrated up into the inner sill area. This was a result of water running into the side off the seat pan.

After cutting the rust you have to fab a patch panel. First start with sheet metal and fold a 90 bend.

Then use a Shrinker stretcher to put an S bend in place to follow the contour.

Once satisfied with the fit. Final trimming takes place to butt weld the part.

Finally, weld it in and finish it off. This came out pretty good. I still have to touch up the welds where it attaches to the floor.

This process will be repeated in many other areas of the tub before I go to primer and paint.

Next up on the list was to start installing the entire rear deck/heel panel sheet metal section. I have started the welding process. Its a lot of plug welds around the perimeter. A butt weld connects the heel panel to the rear seat pan. Oh, Don't forget to buy and weld the luggage tie-downs. I almost forgot. That reminds me, I need to give Restoration Design some feedback about including these with the heel panel as a kit.

Another project I have been working on is to make additional reinforcement panels for the car. The first one to come out is a front steering tunnel and sway bar reinforcement panel. I Have been working with Dave at Mad Dog Motorsports. Dave makes a number of 914 based reinforcement panels including the longitudinal stiffeners, rear swing arm kits, etc. He has been great to work with and these will be added to his website and also available through our host in a short time.

First you have to make some paper templates. Yes, there were many iterations here. Here is an early test fit.

Finally we were satisfied and had a first proto laser cut.

I am pleased with the design. There are plug weld holes. There is a relief cut to allow the sway bar mount to be properly fit. The front sway bar mounts are parallel to each other and perpendicular to the long axis of the sway bar. The tub on the other hand is falling inward as it forms the wheel well. So, there is a step in place. We put a relief channel to allow the part to be formed in place. I have not yet finished welding but the fit is excellent. Amazing how solid the tub sounds now with a simple panel addition. The lower edge is hammered around the radius adding lateral stiffness. I will finish welding the lower edge seam once the car is flipped over.

mad scientist
    Lastly on this update I have been accumulating parts.

Some lights for the front.. NOS Cibie Tango 40s for the TTG option. I even found some old dealer stands to put them on. Makes a nice display until they go on the car.

And I also found these Cibie lights. They are unique in that they are 5.75" and have a hi/lo H4 bulb installed. I have lots of thoughts around this one... Stay tuned.

I also picked up a dash and some bumpers. It will be a while before I need either one but they are another item crossed off the list.

Just saw this JP. Looks great...carry on! Subscribed : )

Speedo
    registry# 1283