Views: 700
Size:  65.5 KBName:  korinna sanding.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  88.5 KBName:  stripped hood.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  77.8 KBName:  stripping fender.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  109.8 KB

LOTS of progress today! Finished stripping the hood (something the previous owner started 30 years ago but never finished) it has some pitting, but I'll let the body shop deal with that when the time comes. Right now my goal is to take it down to bare metal so I can assess the body and its condition. I found some bondo on the hood where it meets the front bumper and I sanded it out. The hood is definitely going to need some love, but it is still salvageable. I even had my wife out there with me today helping me strip the hood. I even stripped a good section of the fender as well and discovered a small amount of bondo so I had to sand that out too. My goal is to eventually do a full glass out/interior out stripped down to the bone full restoration....but I do want to drive her some before then. I know to some she may not be the best looking thing out there, but I see loads of potential
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

Hey "Shipmate" where's your PPE when you're using that grinding wheel?

Impressed you've got your wife out there as cold as it is. Looking good, keep it up.

Stretch
    Last edited by Stretch32; 02-22-2015 at 03:52 PM.
    Registry # 3063

Cool to see you working on it. I would find out what you have before going to far. The COA may likely just say special interior and not be that specific. Can you pull a door panel or the rear panel off and see if it was blue on the backside too?

Is the serial number a low number which may indicate a show car?
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch32 View Post
    Hey "Shipmate" where's your PPE when you're using that grinding wheel?

Impressed you've got your wife out there as cold as it is. Looking good, keep it up.

Stretch
    I actually had my safety glasses on for a few! They are too scratched up though, I need to get another pair...
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    Cool to see you working on it. I would find out what you have before going to far. The COA may likely just say special interior and not be that specific. Can you pull a door panel or the rear panel off and see if it was blue on the backside too?

What do you mean "going too far?" I need to take it down to bare metal anyways as the paint is really crappy Not a lot of dents or dings, but found a few in the hood. Getting out all the filler. Cleaning up surface rust, only a few bad spots in my doors but I've definitely seen worst. Overall a VERY solid car for a car of its age.. Esp an un-galvanized car at that.
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post

The vin is: 9111121255 so, definitely not a low number show car..
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

Called Porsche and they told me a few things that are on the car:
    U.S. Equipment
    Irish Green (ext)
    Brown Leatherette (int)
    Left Antenna (w/loudspeaker)
    Noise Suppression
    Comfort Equipment

Still waiting for the official COA to come in the mail so I can check my wheels and seats.. So far, they aren't listed on the COA but that doesn't mean that they weren't dealer installed here in the U.S. back in '71. Kinda bummed out that it isn't necessarily a "special color (ext or int)" BUT I like Irish Green so I am quite happy about that, and that's all that matters
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianroher View Post
    Called Porsche and they told me a few things that are on the car:
    U.S. Equipment
    Irish Green (ext)
    Brown Leatherette (int)
    Left Antenna (w/loudspeaker)
    Noise Suppression
    Comfort Equipment

Still waiting for the official COA to come in the mail so I can check my wheels and seats.. So far, they aren't listed on the COA but that doesn't mean that they weren't dealer installed here in the U.S. back in '71. Kinda bummed out that it isn't necessarily a "special color (ext or int)" BUT I like Irish Green so I am quite happy about that, and that's all that matters
    Pull one of the door panels to confirm Irish Green. It is hard to tell in your pictures is the interior blue, if so is the the lower dash pad also blue?
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Honestly I don't think it is Irish Green.. in the areas where you see paint, it looks much lighter...almost like a leaf green or a Conda Green perhaps? I have heard that the COA makes mistakes so I honestly don't know what to do at this point.
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

Yes, the interior is blue..the COA says brown leatherette however the seats are blue...we thought they were dyed and in some portions of the seat it looks tan.. I don't know much about dying seats, but are they bleached white and then dyed blue? Just an idea I'm throwing out there...
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28