Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Drop in 911 Values

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Clewell View Post
    Good, maybe now I can afford some of the parts I need for my car.
    Kris,
    The irony is that parts prices will probably not fall. Watched this the last time the 911 market dropped off in '08/09. Car prices were down but parts prices remained strong.

This is actually good news as it means that enthusiasts don't stop on their projects just because there's a blip on the radar.
    The only caveat for this is if supply gets bloated. (As we've seen with Solex carbs recently. What's with that?)
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 02-20-2015 at 10:42 AM.

I think Moito's 908th post is very cool! 911 ok but can't wait for 910,916, 917, 919...he is in the "ZONE" right now!!

People who treat vintage Porsches like commodities come and go according to markets but those who love them boost their desirability and price because they show the pleasure of owning, fixing and driving them. When I see $150,000 VW buses, $50,000 Isettas etc. I wonder why early 911s arent worth more than they are.

Ugh...................................
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Ugh...with more enthusiasm.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Over at BAT there is a '69 911T featured about whose discussion has devolved into a discussion, not about the car, but rather the direction of the 911 market. I found this particular comment interesting:

"MWebb
    Also, ’57 Chevy’s used to be one of the ‘it’ cars and even rusty junkers could pull good money. I remember those days. Not exactly any more, right? So, that actually proves my point if anything does."

Good parallel being drawn between today's 911 market and yesterday's '57 Chev market by M Webb. The only fault I can find in such a parallel is that the interest in '57 Chevs is North American centric, whereas the 911 had appeal in all corners of the collector car market.

IMHO, all other things equal, (most of) the same early 911's are worth as much/more today than a year+ ago. I anticipate good sales results from Amelia, and right up to and including Monterey/Rennsport. Speculators trying to time the market is one thing, passionate enthusiasts quite another.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Quote Originally Posted by BrentF View Post
    Over at BAT there is a '69 911T featured about whose discussion has devolved into a discussion, not about the car, but rather the direction of the 911 market. I found this particular comment interesting:

"MWebb
    Also, ’57 Chevy’s used to be one of the ‘it’ cars and even rusty junkers could pull good money. I remember those days. Not exactly any more, right? So, that actually proves my point if anything does."

Good parallel being drawn between today's 911 market and yesterday's '57 Chev market by M Webb. The only fault I can find in such a parallel is that the interest in '57 Chevs is North American centric, whereas the 911 had appeal in all corners of the collector car market.

My Dad is a Tri-five guy and I've watched this happen. Simply put, the Tr-five guys began dying off without younger enthusiasts replacing them resulting in lower demand and prices. That's not happening here to the same extent. I'm in my 40's, so not the youngest member here but certainly nowhere near the oldest. My passion for Porsche's started with much newer 911's and progressed backwards until I eventually fell in love with the early cars. That only happened (for me at least) because I could feel a link from generation to generation of 911 pulling me back. Whether by intention, or by coincidence, Porsche has made that happen, while other manufacturers have not. If you're a Chevrolet enthusiast today, your new Chevy shares almost nothing with a '57 Bel Air.

I hear people talking all the time about getting younger people into our hobby. I agree, it does appear that the average age of the early 911 enthusiast is getting older. But, for a car that began production in 1965, we're doing better than most. You want to see some real old people? Come with me to the monthly Mustang club meeting!

Man o man,

I am so happy Hagerty has figured the marked has gone soft on our beloved 911's What do I know anyway!!

So I'm thinking I should sell my 64' 911 for.....what..... about 15K now! I surly don't want to upset anyone at Hagerty's..... do I! O yea, I guess I should give all my 911 parts away!! ......Hagerty's.....REALLY!!!

It doesn't bother me about pricing, as long as it goes a "Normal" course....either up.....or down.... Just don't let someone -anyone set the market with hear-say!

KJ

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    You want to see some real old people? Come with me to the monthly Mustang club meeting!
    John, don't you mean 'ANY 356 CLUB EVENT?'.....
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....