Thread: Another 67S “Turbo"

Another 67S “Turbo"

Inspired by Schiefer’s thread http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...o-quot-project and encouraged by the help, information and promising leads he got here, I’ll post the story of my 67S “Turbo” to see if anyone can shed some light on the US history of this car.

Originally silver metallic with black interior, this 67S Coupe was delivered new to an Italian company in Bologna. Not much is known from these early years, and the company no longer exists. Like many other Porsches at the time, it eventually made its way to the US. Most likely it was bought second hand by US service member, who could have a car moved stateside free of charge when he got new orders to relocate to CONUS.

I have no idea where the car ended up in the US. At some point between the early 70ies and early 90ies, it was modified into a Turbo look and was painted gulf blue and got a 70S 2.2L engine. Miraculously, it escaped the mandatory red exterior of the 80ies and somehow ended up in CA.

In the early 90ies, the 67S Turbo made its way back to Europe, Scandinavia this time. In countries with ungodly high taxes on new cars, 25 year old cars exempt from this tax law were the only way for people with average income to ever own anything resembling a sports car. Never mind it was 25 years old. The Turbo look was even a plus in those days, could at least trick a few people into thinking you had the $$$ for a relatively new car. Year after year, 25 years old Porsche were imported by the dozens: first the 65 year models, then 66, 67 and so on.

When I discovered the car in Scandinavia in 2013, it was painted black metallic, anthracite actually, and was a perfect 10-footer. To most people, it looked pretty cool with the whale tale, wide rims and modern Recaro bucket seats. As a longhood guy, you try to focus on the potential and imagine what the car could look like when restored. And try to convince yourself that the Turbo conversion might have been good, got the car looked after and garaged rather than left outside to rot and eventually sent to the crusher.

Name:  45373_614560115230761_116974391_n.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  1001519_613563901997049_2052632210_n.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  1397111_660959770590795_51148462_o.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  83.8 KB

I wonder if anyone remembers a car like this, most likely in gulf blue, but entirely possible it was 'black' already.

Who did these Turbo conversion back in the 80ies and 90ies? Some shops must have specialized in this and done large number of conversions. Any ideas who?
    Member #2683

Hi!
    Maybe you have told me about this a while back, and I have just forgot about it, but curious about your experiences trying to find info in Italy? Have you only investigated about the company that owned your car, or also tried to get get the info recorded by the government?? I have read about some other guys here getting help from Italian members finding missing history. Is this still possible or does it depend how old the car is and maybe also depending where in Italy it was registered???

And it looks like you have a more solid car than me!
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

I have indeed tried to research the Italian history. As mentioned, the company no longer exists at that address, and the name was too generic to find anything. I even emailed the turism office- no reply Some time ago I have asked a fellow Italian member how to access Italian records, but without the license plate there is no way to get any information.

Here are a few things that are odd about this car, maybe someone remembers or knows who liked to use these parts in the 80ies & 90ies:

Non-stock dash cover
    Name:  IMG_5475.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  94.7 KB

Dual Mitsuba fuel pumps
    Name:  a2.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  132.5 KB
    Member #2683

Olde Threade Alerte . . .

So? . . .

. . . How'd you search turn-out? --- for its history?

And what's happening with the car?

We Can Be Heroes