Thread: Restoration Questions - Car Production Date vs Wheel and Other Date Stamps

Restoration Questions - Car Production Date vs Wheel and Other Date Stamps

Hey All,

I am digging back into my 66' 911 restoration and wanted to start sourcing some items to get a close to authentic restoration as possible/afford. If the car has a production date of 04/66, do the wheels typically have the same month/year or are they a specific amount earlier since they were probably sourced months in advance? My guess is that it could have been the same month or up to several months earlier due to how the supply chain worked and if production was waiting on wheels or the wheels were ready and waiting on car production. Any input would be great.

Lastly, are there any other month specific parts I need to look out for?

Thanks in advance!

Nick
    Early 911S Registry # 3983
    1966 911
    2002 Subaru WRX
    2012 Factory Five 818
    2017 Holden Commodore / Chevy SS

Your guess is correct, up to the month of build or a few months before hand. It often happened that some components were batch built and left lying around for some time before your build.

Have a look behind some of the clocks and instruments for examples.