Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unique? 1974 911

Unique? 1974 911

How unique in a 1974 911 in Champagne Yellow with an all black interior. One owner and had the dealer swap out the two tone black/tan for all black interior. This car was an insurance replacement for the earlier Porsche that was totaled in an accident. I'm going to see if she can get me the color code off the inside of the drivers door frame but until then she swears it is a 'Champagne' color...she said Champagne beige but no such color exists to my knowledge. There's only Sahara/Desert beige and Champagne yellow. I'm leaning toward it being Champagne since this is a name I'd think one would remember....it has been 41 years since she ordered the car.

Jamie

According to the Porsche 911 Red Book, 2nd ed, it could be either 117 light yellow or 516 sahara beige if the car still wears it's original paint. If it was resprayed it could be anything.
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

It is original and I am pretty sure she asked for the color her other early car was painted...would they do that? Seems likely.

Jamie

Porsche offered an option known as "Paint to sample" whereby you could order any color. I don't know if it was offered when that car was built, however.
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

Unique?

No!
    Slate Gray, Red Leather, 1968 912 HWT

Also, certain colors were offered over the course of several years. As an example, 117 light yellow was also available in 72 and 73.
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

Barwaut,

Uh, non-reply really. If it is painted a color that was not offered as standard nor special and is original to the car I would say it has a unique color. What do you base your strong 'No! opinion on? Have you seen many Champagne Yellow 1974 911's or are you just not liking the year this 911 was made in??? I think you are wrong if it has a custom interior as well as paint. This car has an all black interior and all the other 1974's AFAIK came in two tone. So it's possible that both the paint and the interior are 'unique'...which would make it special.

Jamie

Jamie,

In the light of early Porsche days and random specs, all accessories free to order, a lot of cars are unique, hence nice but not unique...
    'Unique' and 'original' are eroded terms nowadays....

And a plain regular black interiour?
    Slate Gray, Red Leather, 1968 912 HWT

Okay, I get your point. I'd rather have a not so special one to get for my wife anyway. I can get this car for $14-$16K since it isn't running. Looks like it would be worth between $26-33K running since it is PERFECT. Always garaged California car. No dents, dings, rust...nothing. She hasn't driven very much. Interior is perfect. For a few bucks I can get this car running compared to the 1966 912 I found in the mountains that would be a project car. Been there, done that. I'd have to invest a lot more money in the 912. Sure it would be worth a tad more but when weighing time vs. money and the fact that my wife likes the '74 better I'm leaning hard toward this '74 for her. 912 is polo red 3 gauge with a black interior and a 4 speed. Not an exceptional 912 by any means. I'm probably going to buy and sell that one without touching it. People fight over 912 project cars these days, silly. With the money I make on the 912 I can fix up the engine on the '74 and get it sorted out...

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by jamesond View Post
    Barwaut,

Uh, non-reply really. If it is painted a color that was not offered as standard nor special and is original to the car I would say it has a unique color. What do you base your strong 'No! opinion on? Have you seen many Champagne Yellow 1974 911's or are you just not liking the year this 911 was made in??? I think you are wrong if it has a custom interior as well as paint. This car has an all black interior and all the other 1974's AFAIK came in two tone. So it's possible that both the paint and the interior are 'unique'...which would make it special.

Jamie
    Get the color code it may be a paint to sample or the production yellow.
    Champagne yellow would be a great color. Sounds like a nice color combo.
    Post a photo when you can.
    As far as the interior goes:
    I was working at the dealer for the 74 MY and most of our cars had single color interiors.
    My demo was silver with all black interior. In the US by far most of the cars had single color interiors.
    ROW were the ones that had the two tones.
    Harvey
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 03-03-2015 at 06:55 PM.