Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Educate me please: Matching date stamp for steelies

Educate me please: Matching date stamp for steelies

I think about to swap my Fuchs wheels to steelies (which was the original equipment). What would be the matching date stamp on steelies for my 911 built 3/68
    (would it be 12/67, 1/68 or 2/68)? I do not think that wheels were installed from the same month as the car was built.

Stefan
    Last edited by 68er; 03-06-2015 at 05:16 AM.
    Stefan

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx911 US-delivery 130PS MJ68

My 11/67 5.5x15 steelies are period correct for your Porsche. Do not trade or get rid of FUCHS. PM me and I will work something out for you. Do your research. If I am wrong somebody on here will chime in. 5.5x15 was only steelie wheel made for 68'. Your early 68' most likely had wheels made 11/67. See my ad in parts for sale.

Typically the dates on the wheels can run up to three months or more before the production date. Depends on what era Porsche.They can all match or not and the road wheels can match while the spare may be later. I'd snag sandbeige's 5.5's now.
    Last edited by steve shea; 03-07-2015 at 06:14 AM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

You have about a three month window prior to your car's birthdate. Give me a shout if you want them date matched, we have lots of wheels.

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Hey, I talked to him first! Mine are all date matched for 4. He can pick up his spare from you! Thanks Steve for the back-up and both of you for confirmation that they will work!

I've got a guy in Iowa interested in these so please let me know ASAP if your interested. Thanks.

Thanks for your feedbacks! in the meantime I have mounted a tire (Vredestein Sprint Classic 165HR15) on a spare which I bought already last year (Lemmerz, 5.5x15, stamped 4/69) to get an impression how a steelie would look at my car (see pictures below). I like this "old fashion" look with the steelie very much and a little more than the "sportive" look with my Fuchs wheels, therefore I will definitely swap to steelies! For sure I will keep my Fuchs wheels to have the option to swap back. Currently I have a proposal for 4 german steelies (all Kronprinz, three stamped 1/68 and one stamped 11/67).

@sandbeige911: I will send you a PM (we have to take into consideration shipment, custom and german tax)

Stefan
    Stefan

We have near matching cars Stefan and I am also looking at my original steel wheel option ... However, matched sets are becoming very difficult to find as many have either been discarded or hoarded.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

...wow, could be twins! Mine has VIN 11835224
    Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by 68er View Post