Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: The Canary Files: 1969 911T reworked.

Cam Timing and Piston to Valve Clearance

This update is a long time in coming.

Unfortunately we lost our beloved Father Peter to lung cancer in January this year. He was diagnosed with stage four cancer while I was working in England over the summer of 2018. Needless to say the news was devastating and we spent as much time possible together over that summer. He wasn't a car guy but he loved following the progress of The Canary and probably contributed to most if not all of the YouTube views. I got the call to get on a plane and come home days after New Year and we lost him two weeks later. He was my true hero and someone I try to live up to everyday. Working on The Canary has been a great distraction but updating the posts and editing the videos is something I've found hard to get back to, so this is my attempt at that bridge.

Here we are at The Black Horse pub car barn together over that summer near my parents house.

Next task on the engine rebuild was probably the task I was most nervous about, timing the cams. Not sure why but it felt like a very difficult and complicated procedure. It turned out to be less complicated but more difficult / frustrating. I made a video about the experience.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KWtJNeqz1ZY

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KWtJNeqz1ZY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Setting up for the Cam Timing. The clamps on the idler arms need to be extremely tight! I should of invested in some mechanical chain tensioners.

Installing RSR rocker shaft seals to help prevent oil leaks from the cam housing.

I installed the rockers for intakes 1 & 4 and set the valve clearance to be 0.1mm

The engine crank is at Z1, top dead center. I'm using some blue painters tape to help me easily see the Z1 mark against the case halves.

Both left and right cams with the keyway / dot facing up as a starting point. I install the dowel pin the corresponding sprocket hole and tighten the 46mm nut to 110ft lbs.

I invested (I say that but it was only $25) in a digital dial indicator. I set it up with the Z block on intake #1.

After much frustration I finally end up with the left side at the desired 3.15mm for my E cams.

Right side is at 3.16mm

Once the timing was set I could depress the valves 1.5mm on the intake and 2mm on the exhaust and check my valve to piston clearance by rotating the engine 720 degrees slowly checking for any interference, all was good. After I was completely satisfied I tore the whole thing down ready to add my sealants and do this all again!

Cheers!

-Kav.
    Last edited by kav; 05-18-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Sorry for your loss. Nice that you were able to be with you father at the end.
    Brent
    '70 911S
    '68 TR250

Thanks Brent.

Very nice note about your Dad, fond memories forever.
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

Longblock

With the valve clearance checked I can seal up the longblock.

I made a little video of the process:

https://youtu.be/VfPWd2pCZVY

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VfPWd2pCZVY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Appling the Loctite 574 to the cam housings

Torqued down the cam housing and then the heads.

Chain housings installed.

Curil-T on the camshaft housing end plates.

Thrust washer, shims, woodruff key, sprocket flange, cam sprockets and idler arms.

I set the timing again to 3.15mm for the E-cam.

Priming the hydraulic chain tensioners

I decided to upgrade to Supertec's bronze idler arm bushings, I had to check the timing again

Installed on the right side. (new o-ring not in this picture)

Chain housing covers installed.

I sent my distributor to Kurt at Partskassik, he gave it a service and installed new points, rotor and cap.

Installed all the rockers and adjusted the valves

From TDC working my way around the firing order 1-6-2-4-3-5

New Spark plugs

New turbo lower valve covers and original uppers with the Porsche lettering sanded out

Oil cooler was pressure tested and hot tank dipped, a few bent fins....

Sump plate, oil adapter etc.

The completed longblock!

Cheers!

-Kav

Hi Kav
    Sorry to hear of your loss...
    Your work is inspirational and I really enjoy watching the videos on YouTube!
    Thanks for posting your passion!
    Stephen
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

My Weber 40 IDTP 3C1 triple barrel carburetors have been sitting patiently on the shelf for a few years. It's time I rebuild / upgrade them. I plan on cleaning them up, plating certain parts and upgrading the jets etc for my higher compression engine.

The Webers are the U.S. emissions version "40 IDTP 3C1" very much like the '40 IDA 3C" but with slightly different progression ports and jetting. I can do something about the jetting and may 'convert' them to IDA's if the throttle shafts need re-bushing but I will only know for sure when I run them on the car so ..... Here goes.... wish me luck.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/D_sam1XdFMQ

Quite the mess.

Dirt and grime all over.

Intake Manifolds removed.

Air boxes and Velocity Stacks removed.

A quick clean in the parts washer before I do more teardown so I keep the dirt out of the passageways.

Removing the tops ready to strip them down all the way.

The carb stripped down.

The parts I'll send out for plating.

Everything organized per carb in these little compartment trays.

Cheers.

-Kav.

Very nice a couple of things, I would take apart the carb linkage rod, once plated all together, if you have to make an adjustment, areas that were not plated will show up Did you check the sprocket and chain parallel alignment?

Weber Triple Barrel Carburetor Rebuild

The parts are in and it's time to rebuild the Weber 40 IDTP 3C1 triple barrel carburetors (I hope I can remember where everything goes....)

https://youtu.be/SU1oHn0LMWA

Everything laid out and ready to go.

All the parts and new jets etc.

The plating turned out great!

Cleaned out all the passages with carb cleaner and nylon brushes etc.

installing the floats and setting them to the right height in the chamber.

Installing the chokes, I've gone too big I know it (34mm). I have 30mm coming.

The body of the carb complete.

The new velocity stacks look great! Shame to cover them up!

The before shot.

The after. I'm very happy with the way they turned out!

Cheers.

-Kav.