Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Canary Files: 1969 911T reworked.

Thanks for the kind words. Once I got over the intimidation factor it's been a great experience! (and a lot of work!). The point of making the thread and showing my incompetence in the videos is to do exactly that, inspire non mechanic folks like myself to have a go and don't be scared to try! If you are unsure along the way you can always ask the fantastic group of people on this board for some help!. (I will be doing a lot of that soon!).

Cheers!

-Kav.

Looking good Kav! I'm envious of your garage... I can't wait to get started on my '71 again. I hope you don't find too many surprises upon disassembly of the engine. Best of luck!

Sebastian
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

The Garage

Thanks Sebastian!

Yes the garage was a project in itself! It looked a little like a scene from 'Silence of the Lambs' when we bought the house! but the size was the thing that won me over.

We did a remodel last year and we nearly divided up the space to make a little office on one side but at the last minute after jumping through hoops with the city (ie money) to approve my plans we decided not to do it. I then spent a quarter of the office budget and turned it into what it is today. One of my better decisions!

Before I started pulling the car apart I thought it was important to have a space I could come to and enjoy the process. Also having some tools to help me do most things on my own was a must. So I drove the car with all it's quirks until the garage space was done.

I had our contractor install a spare window we had from the remodel in the corner for some natural light.

Name:  IMG_1999.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  43.1 KB

We had the space dry-walled, added the sub panel and some electrical including the overhead fluorescent lights. I then painted the space white to make it feel open and light (should have used semi-gloss of ease of wipe down).

Name:  IMG_3524.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  83.4 KB

Toys in the garage separated by 6 years (the Vespa is the older of the two). I sold the Vespa on eBay last year as I wasn't really using it. It is funding stage 1 of the Canary rebuild.

Name:  IMG_3521.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  85.9 KB

I used Rust-Oleum epoxy two part garage floor paint from Home Depot and inexpensive white vinyl baseboards.

Name:  IMG_2099.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  58.6 KB

The cabinets and countertops are from Ikea, I installed an Ikea kitchen in our old house and liked the choice of styles and simplicity of the installation. Oh and lets not forget about the price! I made a little office area in the corner in front of the window

Name:  IMG_2241.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  60.7 KB
    Last edited by kav; 06-17-2015 at 06:57 AM.

I added more electrical for the office as well as a 220 volt outlet for the 60 gallon air compressor to run tools and the blast cabinet.

Name:  IMG_2736.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  82.8 KB

Lily loves helping me media blast parts! This is the insanely cheap Harbor Freight blast cabinet $189 (I sound like a commercial for them, trust me I'm not!). I added around three tubes of silicone to the joints when assembling as this thing leaks like a sieve! I have also added my own light and spray gun as the originals are rubbish.

Name:  IMG_2631.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  53.9 KB

The finished office space, I had to sell my vintage Eames Dat-1 office chair as although it looked cool it was too hard on the butt! I bought a used Aeron chair from Craigslist. The Epson architectural printer also came from Craigslist for $100 as it had a broken carriage belt. I watched a Youtube video of how to install a new one and got it running again for $12! I printed all of my plans for the remodel with it saving a small fortune at Kinko's!

Name:  IMG_2266.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  69.7 KB

A bit of a tight space but it works.

Name:  IMG_2740.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  67.1 KB

I know I'm trying to do way too many things in the space, garage, workshop, office, storage, workout area and darts! but it seems to be working out so far.

Name:  IMG_2749.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  88.7 KB

Cheers!

-Kav.

Heat exchanger removal.

First things first, tackle the removal of the very corroded heat exchangers. I'm not sure if these are original to the car (probably are) but they have seen better days. They are rusted through on the back section and not really salvageable, I had a few restless nights contemplating the outcome but in the end the reciprocating saw came out and I cut those mothers in two!

A little video of the process.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MH31EtvULnI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The mess.

Name:  IMG_0335.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  102.1 KB

My corroded nuts....

Name:  IMG_0339.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  131.2 KB

Too far gone. Just some of the holes.

Name:  IMG_0343.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  79.2 KB

With tubes cut away it was much easier to get at the bolts. I soaked them in PB Blaster all week and gave them plenty of heat during the process. I used an extension and a swivel on the 13mm nuts. A couple came out relatively easily and others were a complete nightmare but I didn't snap any head studs! About half of the head studs came out with the bolts.

Name:  IMG_0347.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  130.3 KB

No going back now. What do I replace them with? SSI's would be the unlimited budget choice, do splash out 2 grand? Or is Dansk a good option for 2/3's the price? What about a set of headers for $600?

Name:  IMG_0355.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  96.6 KB

Thoughts?

Cheers.

-Kav.

I think I'm sad you cut the tubes... They make great non-heat headers when you cut the corroded tin away and clean up with a wire wheel and some heat paint...

Great thread, I've just come out the end of a 5 year resto on my 69.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Good goin', Kav . . .

As far as your HE issues/choices/etc go . . .

. . . I'll be the Voice in the Wilderness here and say . . .

. . . find an OG set!

I know-I know --- but they're out there . . . see post #383 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ty-nine/page39

Not exactly cheap --- but they fit PERFECT

Sound good, too

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

I feel your pain...when I get back from deployment I'm going to have to put in all the permits to build an attached garage. I think 24X24 will be a good size (for now) and I want to have a room upstairs for a man cave! I should have enough room for all my tools, and I'd like to get a welder, compressor, parts washer and sandblaster in there if I can.

Good to see your little on loves to help! I had two of my little brothers help me take out the interior of my car this past winter. Even had them scraping out sound deadening! I can't wait to have kids someday so I can teach them how to wrench/drive..

I'd say go with SSI's if your budget can handle it.. I personally like stainless and the fact that you don't have to worry about rust!
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28

Any updates?!
    -Chris Mohr

S Registry #1978

Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    Any updates?!
    I have made some progress but not much unfortunately. Working in the Visual Effects industry can consume your life towards the end of a project. I have been working weekends (sometimes both days) for the past 10 months which doesn't leave much time for the Canary I have some time off over the holiday break and will post some updates.

Hopefully you'll enjoy the fruits of our labor over the holiday break!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sGbxmsDFVnE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers.

-Kav