Thread: Targa Vent Window frame connector mounting question

Targa Vent Window frame connector mounting question

I'm installing a new set of frame connectors that hold the upper corner of my targa vent window frame together. The factory used brass pressed looking rivets that are perfectly flat on both sides (see pics). I could use a screw and shallow nut to replace this rivet, but the nut that would sit beneath the felt window guide-channel, would make the felt guide stick out slightly. Any suggestions on how to recreate the original brass type rivets, or otherwise?

Thanks
    MikeName:  Vent back.jpeg
Views: 226
Size:  74.7 KBName:  Vent Front.jpeg
Views: 226
Size:  64.9 KBName:  new frame connector.jpeg
Views: 231
Size:  73.3 KB

Seriously, friends ... help this guy. this is really a good question and the answer would help everyone in their restorations.

however, if there is no solution that replaces the rivet, the only alternative i might suggest is to hollow out the contact-side of the felt to reduce the displacement caused by the nut. it's a suck-y answer, however.

Miken,
    My suggestion from another part.
    Here is my repair of the contact bow on a handbrake. Thin rivets sit flatter than a screw, look way nicer, and more correct IMHO.
    They also have a sort of copper rivet originally as well.
    Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Whit
    ridgerestorations@gmail.com
    66' 911 Coupe (Kinda Gone)
    70' 911T Targa (Across the Pond now)
    68' 912 Targa HW(gone but not forgotton)
    67' 912 Coupe (Under construction)

Aircraft rivit's? Don't have a frame handy, in storage, so I don't know the size head and leangth. McMaster Carr??
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

How are the 74 and later rivets different? I just did these on my 74 and the parts look the same.

Banned
    I don't want to come across as a smart aleck but it's a common flat head rivet that has been peened to fill the opposing countersunk void.
    Any good rivet supply house will have a close enough match. And any good race car fab shop should be able to install for you.

BTW: Blind rivets (pop rivets) don't work well for this; too much abuse. They lack the clamping pressure needed for this application.

Thanks for the advice all. I found the original rivets at sierra madre. Will have pressed in
    Mike

member #1515
    I did mine a few years ago, pelican has the copper rivets. You have to take the frame apart and slide a counter buck in and have the rivets pressed down. Everything else will loosen or rust.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs