Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Connecting fog light harness to switch

Connecting fog light harness to switch

I haven't been getting many responses to my TTG fog light question so I hope I can get some guidance with the switch. I purchased a Kroon fog light harness and the directions and diagram he sent with the harness calls out for the white/yellow and the white wires to be connected to the switch. White/yellow wire to the 58 and the white wire to the N but my 68 switch does not have the same terminal ID's (1,2,3 and R versus NR, N, 58 and ground) on the back at the connectors and my switch has a different connector pattern on the rear. The one in the installation diagram also does not have a bulb and has three terminals at the top and one at the bottom. The three on top have one at the top and one on each side of it at an angle. I'm assuming the ground that is supposed to connect to the lighter is for the light bulb. My car is a 69 and the switch is from a 68. Help please. Bob
    Last edited by Bob Harriman; 03-28-2015 at 03:06 PM.

My switch is part #901 613.503.20 and the diagram is 914.613451.10

Bob,

A photo would be good.

Can you see the numbers next to the terminals on the switch?

Have you got a multi meter?

It's pretty easy to see which terminal gets continuity/power when you pull the switch....
    Tony

The diagram has a different terminal layout than the switch I have. My switch is 901 613 503 20. The diagram is 914 613 451 10. There are numbers 1, 2, 3, on the terminals and one has an R. Not sure what those tiny numbers are on the black plastic are. Looks like 087 S
    Also, does the bulb connect to the ground connection at the cig lighter?

Name:  IMG_1344.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  70.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1341_zpsu5uripo1.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  65.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1342_zpspyfwxhzh.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  121.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1343_zps3skalosj.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  107.4 KB

I suggest you run a relay with the ground at the switch. May not be stock but would certainly function the best.
    M.A.Spirito

Harness came with a relay

Name:  IMG_1339.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  80.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1340.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  81.3 KB

Bob,

K = Ground
    1 = Yellow/White ( power )
    2 = white ( Relay )
    3 = jumper to globe in the switch.

The red wire runs from terminal 30 on the relay ( switched ) so should got to a hot fuse. One of the top 2 fuses in the top fuse box.

Blue/White is a USA thing sorry I've never traced that one.

Green/White power to the fog lights opposite to where you have them connected fuse 8 in the lower fuse box.

You can run them as per the US DOT requirements of the day ( fogs only come on with the switch pulled and low beam on )
    Or the ROW way switch pulled on, fogs on regardless of the light position.

Hope that helps
    Tony

The grounds are just daisy chained together as you thought which just all ties together and goes to the earth behind the clock ( RHD car so the ground may be on the opposite side for you )
    Last edited by classic; 03-28-2015 at 10:29 PM.
    Tony

Thanks so much Tony. Does the green/white from the switch need to be on the opposite side of the fogs at the fuse or can they be together? The blue/white is a grounding to the ground above the battery box. As for the bulb, it connects to #3?

Yes Bob it needs to be on the opposite side of the fuse, otherwise it would not be fused.

My Blue/White just runs to the fuse, and not to an earth point, but as I said your car is US spec so there inlies the diffence.

Yep, terminal #3 is to the globe in the switch.......just run an appropriate gauged Brown wire from #3 to the female terminal on the globe holder, which is in the centre of the switch. The globes for the switches are positive on the outer casing, and earthed at the base.

Basically if you got a 9v battery and connected the negative to the base of the globe, and the positive to the outer casing of the globe it will glow

Does that make any more sense?
    Tony