Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Value of 1965 912 vs later models

Value of 1965 912 vs later models

Hello all

I'm active on Pelican Parts but new to this forum. I'm looking for a 912 to compliment my 87 911. I like the green gauge cars more than the later ones, but from many years of messing with old cars I've learned to buy on condition more than pick a year. I came upon a '65 painted dash 3 gauge car and am curious to hear everyone's opinion about whether these differ in value greatly from the rest of the 912s or if colors, originality, condition tend to trump year and series.

Thanks

Painted dash cars do demand a small premium. Nothing like the '65 911 pricing. '66 and '69 have a slight price advantage over the '67 and '68 due to the first and last year thing. '68 would be the low end due to the smog/head crack issue. That being said, the values are pretty much the same. All other things that are true for the early 911 hold true for the 912, condition, color, and originality are bonuses.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

not this one is it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-912-...m=141618864435

one should pay very very close attention to the font of the engine number stampings of the matching numbers engine, and compare them to a few other engine number stampings, and draw their own conclusions.

to echo JT, painted dash cars do command a premium, the rest of the short wheelbase cars are fairly close, 69 cars tend to be a little less. Smog/head issues have pretty much been taken care of at this point, in 25 years, I think I've seen one smog system still connected, and only a couple installed but not connected.

good morning from bavaria,
    the prices for early 912 in 1 are up to 80 at the time being, avergae 2 is above 40 and stepwise down in price equal to condition. maintanence is easier done engine wise. chassis parts as expensive as the 6 er brother, but lower than triumph parts. the ultimate 912 is equipped with a 4 cyl fom dean polopolus....that s what porsche intended as powerplant in the 60ies but the built price of the 4 was only 200 deutsch mark less than the 6.....

post some pics of the car and we can comment further
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

3 gauge 912 will Always be more expensive than the 67-68 one's .. the targa more expensive then the others due to rarity ( 544 / 1217 / 801 build)
    just like the big brother, the first year and last year will always be the more expensive models
    just like the 3 gauge 912 1966 that gooding & co has sold for 82.500 excl fee's

i believed that the first painted dash models are even more worth than that .. or a 3 gauge model with 2 option gauge's ( clock and outsidetemp gauge)
    in europe are the european delivered models even more worth, they almost seem impossible to find ( + 30% or even more !)

but like said above .. it's all about condition, color, and originality

My opinion and experience, while I know there are deeper here, say 912 value is set in this order:

1, above all, it's quality, condition, completeness and correctness that drive value.
    2, the 912 "unicorn" is an early 3 gauge, painted dash, sunroof, in the right color - this is rare and very valuable
    3, targa, especially soft window, to the point made earlier, is small run and desired
    4, factory installed options that are cool or unique, such as an external temp gauge in a '67, draw some unique value

Post that you get year preference that drives value:

Some like '69's as they are a one year only, LWB
    Some like '68's as they have have many one year only unique features, such as the side markers
    Some like '67's as they are green gauge vs black and parts are easier to find
    Some like '66's with the slanted deck lid script, etc

IMHO most of these elements are personal preference and value is derived in the concentration of like personal preferences (demand) versus availability of cars and projects (supply)

I personally like my '68 and '67, for similar and different reasons. That said, I would trade them in a flash for a true 3 gauge, painted dash, sunroof car in decent shape.
    Kevin "Hangman" Lynch
    1967 912R (project) - color pending
    1968 Bahama Yellow 912
    Follow me on Twitter @LynchGreenDot

OK, with that all said, go find a decent, numbers correct, SWB 912 that is mostlsy correct.
    Steve Var.
    66 Fulvia
    72 914

A good point, that's more difficult than ever before, but the same could be said about a '72 T.

In my specific case, my 1968 912 is indeed that, "mostly correct", and the aspects that aren't are all reversible, and the parts from stock original are bubble wrapped, boxed, and labeled for return and not sale, 'when and if' - things like seats, steering wheel and gauges - which I changed out for current enjoyment and better functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by Varooom View Post
    OK, with that all said, go find a decent, numbers correct, SWB 912 that is mostlsy correct.
    Kevin "Hangman" Lynch
    1967 912R (project) - color pending
    1968 Bahama Yellow 912
    Follow me on Twitter @LynchGreenDot

True, but the harder to find the more valuable they will get...

ROW models are so rare here in europe .. 95 % that is for sale in europe are USA model 912 SWB
    in europe they ask / sell ROW models SWB 912 for 49.500 euro's ( needs to be fully restored )
    they going up ... fast !!

There seems to be more 'Ts' than ever now but that will change very soon. Anything 'one year only' is difficult to find correct (1972 911's). There was a time ( even now) when the '68 912 has been available. Just two years ago I sold a '65 912 painted dash Euro vin no. 0024 and fought to get even $18K. Car was very correct with complete correct motor ( non matching but 100 away in numbers).

I have my all correct '66 now since '03 and love its 100% patina. Can't be replaced now even if I tried to find one with $60K ready in hand. I have all correct dated chrome wheels stored away and all books/ records and tools. Full CA black plate car from Wester/ Monterey.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Var.
    66 Fulvia
    72 914