Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: McAfee early 911 Wheels

Sorry, I dont have these wheels any more and only have this one photo of the inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bommsel69 View Post
    Hi There ! I´m new in this forum I´m from germany , so please excuse my incorrect writing.
    I´ve got a ´69 T in burgundy and a 356 C in black which is looking like a bad Outlaw.
    @ CarmelSkip, would you mind if you post some pics from the inside of the rims, especially the writings inside, I´ve got some `Mcafee`on stock but I´m not sure if they are fake or not.
    Here are a couple of examples of fake McAfee wheels. Almost all of the fakes I have seen do not have a raised center like the real ones pictured earlier.

Ciao

Jim

Jim,

You are correct that in the above post those are re-pops. Commonly referred to as Gurneys. The reason I believe(d) that the wheels I have posted are true McAfee's are from what I took off the website

www.jackmcafee.com The info posted on the site stated that the "real" McAfee's had a raised hub, as mine do and that the stamping on the inside of wheel has "LOS ANGELES,CALIF" - mine don't /

"PATENT PENDING" - mine do

"SRC1500" - mine have SRC1400 / "15:00 X 550" - mine have 6.00 X 14.00. Per the website these were the only stampings on the backside of the wheels. The spinners shown on their site are identical to mine. You

made reference

that the raised hub that the spinner attaches to is threaded in my pic(s). From the pic I can see where one would make that assumption. They are not, that is the wear marks from the spinners. I can't find anywhere

where they a 6.00 X 14.00 sized wheel. So, in that vein I will concede, until proven otherwise(!), that these are/may not be true McAfee's. They are however (and you point out) pretty cool wheels. That said, I am

adjusting my price to 600.00 + shipping/pp fees. Best to all who have posted here.

Thanks to you all !!
    I´ll keep you posted what came out to my research
    kindest Regards
    Dom

BTW, I've found reference that the SRC stands for; Sears Roebuck Co. as they also sold these wheels?? Haven't confirmed yet. Anyone have an early '60's catalog floating around? Check those outhouses......

Quote Originally Posted by nvr2mny View Post
    BTW, I've found reference that the SRC stands for; Sears Roebuck Co. as they also sold these wheels?? Haven't confirmed yet. Anyone have an early '60's catalog floating around? Check those outhouses......
    Well, this is embarrassing!

I just found out that I still have the set of McAfees that I was convinced were long gone.
    After looking at my wheels, I have come to the conclusion that your wheels are, indeed, McAfee wheels, or at least made by the same company that made McAfees.
    SRC does indeed stand for Sears Roebuck Co.
    My main reason for questioning this set of wheels stemmed from the fact that they are slightly different in appearance from the McAfees that I am used to seeing. I think that is due to the difference between 15" wheels and yours that are 14". I'm pretty sure that the 14s were made at a later date than the 15s that have been pictured earlier in this thread, and in this post.
    I have taken pictures of the front and back of my McAfees, and the 14s, though different, are certainly from the same manufacturer.
    My wheels also say" Los Angeles, Calif."
    The spinners are generic and can be purchased from many sources still.
    Again, Good Luck with your sale and I hope all of this back and forth has been beneficial in calling attention to your wheels.
    This post should put them back at the top again!

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim and no worries. I appreciate the dialog and learning, and bump(s)!

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    I'm continually amazed by not only the wealth of knowledge within this group of enthusiasts, I found this thread fascinating, but also the humility and respect we show for each other - even when we disagree! If only the rest of the world could co-exist like this.
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Sale pending to a fellow enthusiast. Thanks to all who participated!

Well, I'm sure I'll eventually regret it, but these have been sold!