Thread: Targa Preload

Targa Preload

Looking for first hand ,experienced opinions:
    If a Targa is being restored on a Cellette type fixture, would it be beneficial to simulate the weight of the
    Engine with some weight and remove the rear support fixture details to "preload" the structure? This would be done at some point closer to completion of the shell.The thought being ,that the gaps would be maintained when the car is reassembled.

I'd be interested in hearing a first hand, experienced opinion on this as well, if there is one?
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

i'm sorry. i think i understand the question, but the question seems to imply that you expect the panel gaps will change when the engine is installed. am i reading the question correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by mshaver51 View Post
    i'm sorry. i think i understand the question, but the question seems to imply that you expect the panel gaps will change when the engine is installed. am i reading the question correctly?
    Affirmative.

Although I have seen many an open 356 done on a rotisserie (which haven't had the benefit of being restored on a fixture )that have come out fine.

member #1515
    If the dimensions are correct on the Celette you should have no problems. Targas tend to close up as they age. You are still going to have to adjust gaps on doors and fenders when you test assemble, then take apart and paint.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

i am certainly no expert in such things, but i would see no genuine reason to pre-load the targa for purposes of setting door gaps. my '68 project had incredible amounts of rust in the floor pan, as well as some of the structural steel. in addition, a previous owner had begun to cut the car through the driver side frame rail. yet, when the car was placed on a bench, virtually every measurement was within factory tolerances.

certainly, a targa will flex when driven hard, but i personally don't see the static weight load to alter its dimensions/gaps.

in addition, it would seem that there is enough potential adjustment in the panel fitment to allow your door gaps to be correct as a result of panel adjustments. if you have your car on a cellette bench with the correct fixtures, it would seem that you should be pretty well set.

as i said, i don't claim to be an expert.

Many years ago we did extensive panel replacement on a Targa- inner and outer quarter panels, rockers, etc. Alignment was based on door position- we never took the doors off. This work was done with the engine in the car. When we took the car off of the stands, the gaps between the doors and quarter panels opened up by almost a half inch due to body flex. Was able to fix this by using a hydraulic jack to bend the body back. Has never been an issue in the years since.

That was my experience. I would suggest you keep it on the Celette, and not worry about the engine/transmission weight as there would be no way to really calculate how much weight and where to put it given that the body is also supported by the pick-up points. Good news is that if you have an issue when you put it on the floor fully loaded, you can still adjust it, but I doubt you will need to.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S