Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1965/66 911 Tires

Well It's hello from Longstone.

Yes Pirelli are making the 165HR15 Cinturato again. https://www.cinturato.net/pirelli-cinturato-ca67/

these are Genuine Pirelli Cinturato tyres. http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page...rato-ca67.html

Name:  Pirelli Cinturato 185VR15 FULL 300.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  53.8 KBName:  DSCN6381.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  101.5 KB

Anyone here running the Blockley on a show car? I like the idea of having the correct size and pattern I just wish it had Dunlop on the side wall. I think at a quick glance the dog bone pattern would show well, nut the Pirelli name may be better. I am all about running one of the tires on the Porsche approved list I would just prefer it match the Kardex

when I inquired at coker tire about Michelin classic tire 165/15 tires, I was told xas required a tube but xzx did not, Any one have any input on this? The xas has a higher speed rating, safety tubes?
    registry #2072

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jim amato View Post
    when I inquired at coker tire about Michelin classic tire 165/15 tires, I was told xas required a tube but xzx did not, Any one have any input on this? The xas has a higher speed rating, safety tubes?
    I guess the Michelin XAS was originally designed without a bead which will seal against the rim and hasn't been updated.

I have dim memories that high performance cars tended to get tubeless tires a little later than say, American sedans, and I think the older Fuchs wheels lack the "J" designation for a lip designed better to retain tubeless tire beads. But, I can't find any sources to back up my memory.

At any rate, if you get the Michelin XAS, don't even think about running them tubeless.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    I have dim memories that high performance cars tended to get tubeless tires a little later than say, American sedans, and I think the older Fuchs wheels lack the "J" designation for a lip designed better to retain tubeless tire beads. But, I can't find any sources to back up my memory.
    All the 901 Fuchs wheels are J

H
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 04-15-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    I guess the Michelin XAS was originally designed without a bead which will seal against the rim and hasn't been updated.

At any rate, if you get the Michelin XAS, don't even think about running them tubeless.
    Thanks for your input Jim, I like the xas over the zxz but I am not overly excited about going to tube type tires
    registry #2072

Finally I understand the J! Thank you for that Harvey, bugged me for a long time!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    All the 901 Fuchs wheels are J

H
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

I've found the XAS to feel much better than the ZXZ. But, I do have the ZXZ on my show wheels.

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Hi

Yes the 165HR15 Michelin XAS are tube type tyres. Which is not a problem they always were tube type. and fitting a tube is not a bad thing. I would recommend fitting Michelin tubes they are not expensive.

The XAS came out in 1965.

The 165HR15 Pirelli Cinturato is an original tyre that Porsche fitted in period. It is actually a branded tyre made by Pirelli. The Cinturato is a tubeless tyre so it can be fitted with or without a tube what ever suits.

Does anyone have any pictures of an early 911 fitting 165HR15 or 185/70VR15 Cinturato. either from period or with the new production.

Both the Pirelli and the XAS are genuine period tyres that are actually manufactured by themselves

The XZX tyres are fine for a Beatle, but they aren't really sports car tyres you need a carcase that is made to suit.

what tyres did the Saint fit?

Name:  OfficialST1.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  112.1 KB

Well I have decided to go with Pirelli 165hr15,"ordered 5 from "LONGSTONE TYRE", thanks to all that commented here, it helped in the decision making process, the manufacture date of 11-2014 was a big input as well,and if someone ask I will tell them that's what the saint fitted!
    registry #2072