Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 68 911 washer pump mounting

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147

68 911 washer pump mounting

Help, parts books, pet and service manuals providing confusing information on windshield washer pump mounting. We have an original 3/67 plastic back washer pump that was tie wrapped to the mounting pedestal. What was the original method of mounting the pump to the pedestal? Gordon

I believe it WAS tie wrapped to the pedestal with white tie wraps, similar to engine bay defroster ducts. HTH
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

There are 4 slots in the plastic base, are there any rubber isolators between pedestal and the pump? Gordon

I don't know if the 911 was different from the 912 when it came to mounting the windshield washer pump (wwp), but here's a few photos of what my '68 912 SWT's wwp mounting looks like. Of note is that I've not used the correct mounting holes, because my cars' battery is a little longer than a normal sized one, and as such I needed to place the wwp a little further toward the front of the car, to insure the battery didn't cause damage to the wwp. As well, I'm wondering if those tie wrap thingies were even around when these cars were produced. I certainly don't remember them from back in the 60's.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Steve Meltsner

Original SWB washer pumps were configured differently......the white plastic base had the inlet and outlet nipples at 90 degrees to the pump body and the bracket was slightly smaller. It was mounted on the pedestal by two white tie wraps with simple grey felt (actually maybe perlon) as a pad. It layed horizontally so that the inlet/outlets pointed straight up. There have been photos of original pumps on this site in the past...they all failed and were replaced with the later pumps over time.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Thanks Mark, did the tie wraps go over the whole body or just the base? I just rebuilt the pump side of this one, it works.

Cool! If that's your pump you've got a rare winner.

I believe the tie wraps went around the ears on the base.

Nice original piece!!
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Hope this helps.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Hi Guys,

Here is a picture of the pump from my 67 911. Original metal tab factory zip ties still in place as noted by Mark.

Thanks,

Brad
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Here is the pump from a 68 911. This is a Karman built car, the 67 pump above is from a Porsche built car. Not sure if they had different parts or if this is a pump chance in 68. The 68 pump is held down with two screws.
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547