Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 303500 found ex racer

Looks to me as if there are stress marks in the aluminum on the left spoke. My recommendation is to save your money. Too often these wheels cannot be properly fixed once they've been overstressed and they will re-crack right at the 'repair'. What you've got is a nice piece of wall art as a memento. Let the horn button go back when the car is done to carry the torch...

Cool car. based on the F on the side it was a time trial car. If you can get the DMV records from the license plate you may be able to find out the history. Good luck.

Don

Cool car. Based on the bolt in roll bar diagonal I would guess this car saw some track time into the 80's. I would look at the local PCA results for Holtville in the 80-85 range as a start.

Wash it up real well and shoot it with a light coat of clear and carry ON!

Real cool find. Agree on what others have said about the MOMO. I guess you could get the it refoamed and recovered and live with the rest as a wheel for the street but, I'd never again use it for track.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Love the exhaust flanges holding the roll bar cross tube in place.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

New shoes, looks like we are going back to original
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Great find. Enjoy! Here is a pic of freshly restored Aga Blue for some inspiration
    Attached Images Attached Images  

the roll bar feet, aka crows feet, should be cast steel and welded to the chassis of the car. fwiw....please drive it as it is....just for a moment if at all....wouldn't we all just love to see that car pass us on Mulholland.....

The car is not a factory race car, all of the race parts were added later, some parts period correct desirable and some parts like the roll bar are just old novelties now and not original Porsche parts. Marco correctly noticed the muffler flanges on the roll bar cross bar. The steering wheel was very cool but after looking at it, one of the previous posters was right, its cracked so just cool wall art.

While it would be fun to get it going as-is and drive it as a patina race car look. The engine, while complete, is in pieces. I do not have the time to put it all together and drive it around for fun, too far gone to make it drive like it is. I have the time and ability to make it as good as new so that is the route planned. So a much longer time frame for gratification but a much higher level of gratification when done.

Still have not disassembled it yet, after Rennsport it comes apart.

Check the roll bar for stamping of log book number. If SCCA certified bar it should have a log book number stamped into it. I think they usually would stamp on lower portion of left leg(right behind driver's seat, together with drilled hole to measure bar thickness. I hope you restore it just enough to make it a safe racer/driver- its a race car and I like it that way- cool find & enjoy.