Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carpet set

carpet set

who makes the best quality carpet set for a 69 911?

My Inspiration

'86 44 Turbo, black/red,7's and 8's fuchs, autothority - sold (rocketship)
    '97 Boxster, first delivered in DC Metro, silver/red -sold (huge mistake to buy this one)
    '99 C2, silver/black, RoW M030, limited lip, short shift - sold (good ride, but...)

'69 912, 3.2 with all the trimmings
    (finally got air cooled)
    Early 911S Registry Member 2044

Get samples from Autobahn, and Autos International. There is also a company in Germany, Klaus Mayer website is Cabrio.de.
    I still like german square weave on the early cars.
    Good luck

Thank you. Can someone edumacte me on the German square weave products?

My Inspiration

'97 Boxster, first delivered in DC Metro, silver/red -sold (huge mistake to buy this one)
    '99 C2, silver/black, RoW M030, limited lip, short shift - sold (good ride, but...)

(finally got air cooled)

member #1515
    they were used on the 356 and I've seen them on the Singer. Very cool look.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRS View Post
    who makes the best quality carpet set for a 69 911?
    David,

what a timely inquiry.

At the LA Lit show back in March I ordered a full 911 Coupe carpet kit in gray Squareweave from Tony Garcia, proprietor of Autobahn Interiors. Based on previous work I asked Tony to undertake earlier in the restoration / conversion of my '70 911 T, I am convinced that he is as good as they come for Porsche upholstery work in the US. I whole-heartedly recommend T0ny / Autobahn for your Porsche upholstery needs.

I just received the package from him on Saturday ( in my view a 4-week delivery time is most acceptable & satisfactory ) and have attached some photos of his work for your review………by the way, I think that squareweave is the only way to go. Not perfectly authentic for a 911, but far better looking and much more durable than the original material, and easier to clean than anything else. I am posting the photos to show off the workmanship of the kit, some details of his work, a close-up of the square-weave and the last shot to show the underside of the carpet pieces. Later this week the car is off to a local upholstery shop for a neat & clean professional installation. I'll post additional photos when it's done.

In case you're curious why, there was nothing wrong with my dark charcoal 'Haargard' carpeting supplied initially per my request, except that the combination of black headliner and black German vinyl made the entire interior a bottomless black hole that looked more like a funeral parlor chapel than a sports car interior. I think this will add just the right touch of brightness while retaining a connection to traditional materials as used by Porsche in the early cars - after all, my car is a hot-rod.

Good Luck,

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

John, thank you. Great pics. I need mine in black. Really like the look. think i will give them a call and pull the trigger. Now if i can just find my houndstooth (oh so trite, eh?)

My Inspiration

(finally got air cooled)

How heavy is the square weave? I took out the correct 1970 carpet that's in my car and was amazed by how lite it was.
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

I'm also curious about that. and... what color is that - looks good

and... I've heard that Tony's carpets are very robust (hence inflexible and hard to install) - true?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRS View Post
    John, thank you. Great pics. I need mine in black. Really like the look. think i will give them a call and pull the trigger. Now if i can just find my houndstooth (oh so trite, eh?)
    David,

I'm glad you're considering Tony's shop for your carpeting. I think it's of the utmost importance for us to support guys like him with our business. I don't financially benefit from your decision to buy from him, I just think that the early Porsche community would be a lot poorer if we don't do our part to keep priceless resources like Tony, Harvey, Paul Abbot, North Hollywood Speedo, John Esposito etc. in business and going strong.

Re the Pepita houndstooth, I don't see that as trite at all - when you have a clear idea and vision of what you want…….pursue it no matter what and don't deviate from your plan and never, ever give up until you have exactly what you want. For additional evidence of Tony's mastery, attached please see a photo of the ratty looking, smelly, but sound pair of old RECAROs I found and purchased on the spot, because unlike Porsche Sport seats, these Recaros had the adjustable thigh cushions, which I had in several previous cars I owned and really like / need. Had them shipped to Tony in 2006 with some sketches and instructions on what I would like……..and three shots of what he sent back and how those same Recaros look in my car. Most comfortable automotive seats I ever sat on / in…….could not possibly be happier, and they still look and function as the day they arrived.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

John, again thank you. Must be reading my mind. I have a set of Recarco SE's that I want to finish like your pics. A couple of questions. Are you happy with the weight of the fabric? Has it worn well.? Could you share general cost range for the project?

My Inspiration

(finally got air cooled)