Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sourcing parts

sourcing parts

a question for the Early 911S reg brain trust. Where is the preferred place to source basic parts? Need hood shocks, the horn grilles and a few other not so hard to get parts. Thoughts?

My Inspiration

'86 44 Turbo, black/red,7's and 8's fuchs, autothority - sold (rocketship)
    '97 Boxster, first delivered in DC Metro, silver/red -sold (huge mistake to buy this one)
    '99 C2, silver/black, RoW M030, limited lip, short shift - sold (good ride, but...)

'69 912, 3.2 with all the trimmings
    (finally got air cooled)
    Early 911S Registry Member 2044

I use a variety of places- Stoddards, Automotion, EASY, Sunset Porsche, Autos Atlanta, Sierra Madre, Pelican. There are many more. What I really suggest is that you use the folks that advertise in ESSES.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

add my concurrence to csbush -- it is good to patronize ESSES advertisers. csbush listed some of the best sources, already, so you really can't go wrong.

for used parts, Jim Breazeale at EASY is difficult to beat. he is one of the go-to Porsche scholars, for me.

for my projects, i have found paul domitrovic at Stoddard to be an excellent source of repro and NOS parts. Stoddard is an excellent corporate partner to the enthusiast community and Paul has personal knowledge of Porsche.

i would also add Kurt at partsklassik. those guys can really find some stuff that is not common. they got me correct boge rear shocks for my project when no one else had them.

in addition, you should consult Aase sales (aasesales.com) as well.

finally, if you are looking for very high quality repros, you should have eric linden at autos foreign on your list.

good luck.

support your local dealer - I also like EASY.

Stoddard is good as long as you don't confuse them with any newfangled things like trying to use their web site or Email (!)

Sierra Madre carries repros of NLA parts - never had a quality problem or a service problem with them; nice people

the Bird has non-Porsche, OEM parts that are often cheaper than the Porsche QC tested items if that's what you're after

for used parts, esp. if heavy, you need to give a location - several places on the left coast; a place in Denver, Okie Foreign for central US - I've had good luck with all of them; have never tried the eastern rust belt parts of the US

member #1515
    the best of the horn grills are from autos foreign. The rest are available at all of the above.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Shift Knob Maker
    I find these days that most suppliers operate about the same, so I usually price shop. The variance in price always surprises me, I have had good and bad experiences with all listed above and no longer really have a preference although I do order more from Stoddard because they are close and usually ship quick.

Mark..

I've asked for this a few times before. Why isn't there a heading at the top of page: "Part Suppliers". Having to track down hard to find parts isn't a lot of fun, especially if you are new to this. I have a '69S that has been in storage for almost 40 years, and I am not looking forward to the prospect of searching all over the world for the best suppliers for things like headliner, carpet, rubber, etc., etc. Should be pretty easy to do, if you have bought a part from a business and their name isn't in the database, and you think it is a good quality part, send a PM to Chuck or Fred and have their name added to the list.
    I have seen hundreds of posts by Jim Breazeale, but had no idea he was associated with Easy.
    Bob B

For used parts, I highly recommend Jim B/EASY- my experience has been that Jim is one of VERY few people in the used parts biz who is helpful, responsive and knowledgeable, however small the part.
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Quote Originally Posted by SIMI BOB View Post
    I've asked for this a few times before. Why isn't there a heading at the top of page: "Part Suppliers". Having to track down hard to find parts isn't a lot of fun, especially if you are new to this. I have a '69S that has been in storage for almost 40 years, and I am not looking forward to the prospect of searching all over the world for the best suppliers for things like headliner, carpet, rubber, etc., etc. Should be pretty easy to do, if you have bought a part from a business and their name isn't in the database, and you think it is a good quality part, send a PM to Chuck or Fred and have their name added to the list.
    I have seen hundreds of posts by Jim Breazeale, but had no idea he was associated with Easy.
    Bob B
    Likewise...had no idea

I noticed in some of the replies that EASY (shorten from European Auto Salvage Yard) is recommended for your used parts. Just an FYI....Jim Breazeale, owner of EASY and frequent poster on the forum, sells new Porsche Parts!!!
    I've shopped other places and his prices are in line and frequently less than other suppliers mentioned above. Those of us in the Bay Area are fortunate to have a resource such as Jim. Additionally, he hosts the R Gruppe and 911S Registry coffee and cars the first Saturday of every month.

Rich Peters