Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Click -- No Start -- Good battery

Click -- No Start -- Good battery

So today, I drove for a long drive for me, about 120 miles. Stopped, got back in the car, all good. I go for about 30 more miles, stop, car rests for a while, no start, no click. I jump the car, and it runs great. The car sits for about 4 hours while at the gathering, and it starts. Drive home, about 120 miles, shut car off, no click, no start, not able to jump.

Voltmeter while driving shows 14v and get battery tested at auto zone, it passes.

I do have a dual set up and while at the gathering, I isolated batteries, and went to a single battery system on driver's side.

I realize I have to check all the connection points, but was wondering if this is all a solenoid issue. Also will check the grounds from the battery. Sometimes I get a click, sometimes I do not.

thanks
    -----

71 911E RS Clone (Analog)
    88 928 S4 (V8 Trans Axle)
    99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278

Hello
    Maybe a bad contact at the Neimann? I heard about that vicious location many times...

Not sure where the Neimann is located... Never heard of that one before. But really going to look at my cables. I am wondering if my Pos cable going to the starter is any good. Just don't know why it would jump so easily.

I am running a dual battery with miata batteries they are about 6 months old. Ran great when new, but starting showing issues about 2 months into their life. and I do run them on a battery tender.
    -----

99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278

How old is your starter? Have you checked the voltage at the yellow #50 wire at the starter solenoid? Sounds like the usual "hot start' problem. If full battery voltage is available at the #50 wire at the starter then it's probably time to install a good 1.5 hp SR68X starter.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Starter has been replaced about 2 years ago, but now I have to wonder about the old adage you get what you pay for. I am going to crawl under the car early next week. I am fairly sure I did high torque starter, but that may have gone on my 928. I have a couple of starters sitting around, and may test one of those for a swap.

I am thinking the hot start is my issue. Things turned over great this AM. I had a battery cut off switch that I pulled and took out of the circuit, and I altered the circuit for my battery tender to work off of positive for one battery and negative of other. Both batteries showed 13.0 volts, together I go a reading of 12.9, and after a start, I got 12.7 at the posts.

I will check the volts back at the starter, and really take a good look at my ground strap. back there.

I am hoping to drive the car to parade this year, so I want to have a good reliable driver....
    -----

99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278

There are two multipole connectors - one at either side of the spark box/electrical panel inside the engine bay on extreme left. Disconnect each and simply reconnect, I found a bad starter solenoid connection in here - the yellow wire ref'd above runs through the loom here. If this doesn't fix it check earths, especially the earth strap that bolts to the transmission case.

Garrett
    Garrett Dee

Early 911S Registry # 848

73 911S Targa

So it only fails to start when hot? I had the same problem last year and it turned out to be the ignition switch, although during both hot and cold situations.

Just something to consider.....
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster

Yes, most of the time the ignition switch...
    Slate Gray, Red Leather, 1968 912 HWT

If your starter is an IMI Hi Torque brand I'd bet it's a starter issue. Really good product at one point and then something changed. After multiple failures we quit selling them.
    Jason Burkett
    Paragon Products
    www.paragon-products.com
    Early 911S Registry #428
    R Gruppe #375
    1973 911S
    1972 911T
    1974 914 Limited Ed. Blk/Yellow
    1989 944 Turbo
    1993 968 Turbo RS
    1967 Shelby GT500
    1968 Shelby GT500 Conv.
    2010 VW GTI, Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    If your starter is an IMI Hi Torque brand I'd bet it's a starter issue. Really good product at one point and then something changed. After multiple failures we quit selling them.
    That's good to know Jason. So we're better off simply having our original starters rebuilt?
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster