Thread: mystery wire

mystery wire

I came across an unconnected wire near the coil on my 1969 911S. It's red with gray dashes and it has a small round eyelet at the end.The car is running fine as is. Can someone tell me what it's for?

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Alan
    N.J.

1964 E-Type roadster
    1969 911S
    1988 328GTB
    2002 Maranello

That should go to the bottom solenoid of your MFI pump. Shuts off fuel on over run.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed:

Many thanks once again...you're a great resource to this community.

Is it true that some folks purposely run an MFI car with the fuel shutoff solenoid disconnected? Is that harmful or dangerous?

Alan
    Alan
    N.J.

1964 E-Type roadster
    1969 911S
    1988 328GTB
    2002 Maranello

It's neither harmful or dangerous !
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed:

I hate to bug you again, but I looked at the bottom fuel shutoff solenoid and it already has a gray wire attached to it. The top solenoid has a solid red wire attached to it.

Back to the red/white mystery wire discussed above...it exits the wiring harness at a point very near the coil. The coil already has three wires attached to it...a brown ground wire on one lug and a green/blue wire and a black wire on the other lug.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks once again,
    Alan
    Alan
    N.J.

1964 E-Type roadster
    1969 911S
    1988 328GTB
    2002 Maranello

Sorry I missed that one, spoke too quickly. The schematic DOES show a red/white to term. 15 of the coil, along with the yellow/blue one and the brown grd. at term. 1 The red/white wire went to term. B of the CD box. Since you have a black wire to the coil it sounds like someone has run another wire and left the old one dangling. See if your black wire goes to the CD box.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.