Thread: Speaker panel removal!

The Royal Borough of Greenwich, London, UK

Speaker panel removal!

Hi guys, I need to take off the speaker panel from my '73 911, how do I do this safely without damaging the ageing plastics? The reason is I'm fitting a Blaupunkt Franfurt and can't find the speaker wires behind the dash so I need to re-run some new wiring. Where does the speaker cable emerge under dash? Thanks in advance.

Open the hood (I mean bonnet) and remove the cardboard protection panel at the rear of trunk. You should now see the speaker wires.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Shift Knob Maker
    Or perhaps through the clock hole. I would strongly recommend NOT to try and remove the speaker cover..

Mark..

The Royal Borough of Greenwich, London, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by 76911S View Post
    Or perhaps through the clock hole. I would strongly recommend NOT to try and remove the speaker cover..

Mark..
    Many thanks Ed, Mark, for taking the trouble to reply - this was very useful and I'm glad I asked - I had a hunch about that speaker cover!

Hey Von Zipper,

Any learnings you could share? I'm trying to fit a Becker radio in my '71E in replacement of a modern radio.
    Good news is that previous owner didn't make any holes in the doors but instead he used a rear shelf assembly including two good quality speakers. I'll post if for sale soon if anyone is interested.
    On the other hand I have to figure out the wiring for original dashboard speaker... hence my interest in this thread.
    Thanks in advance for any hints/tricks you could share.

Olivier
    '71E Tangerine

I did this a few weeks ago and noticed the speaker cover was starting to pull up from the dash so I popped it out. I discovered there are some bake-light (?) nuts that the speaker grill scews attached to. The bake-light nuts had dry rotted and cracked allowing the speaker grill to basically come right off. Is there a way to get the bake-light nuts and reattach the speaker grill to the dash without removing the entire windshield/dash? I hadn't really looked at it in a few weeks and the grill is essentially just sitting in the dash hole at this point.

Stretch
    Registry # 3063

The original speaker just had threaded studs that popped into plastic inserts that held them. Those deteriorate so I use plastic molys available at my local Ace hardware.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed,

As always you're the man. Thanks for this, I'l look around and find some.

I saw your car at RR V and waited around to see if you'd drop by (while looking at the million other cars in the corral obviously) but never did get a chance to meet. Maybe RR VI I guess :-)

Thanks again,

Stretch
    Registry # 3063

Damn,,,,,sorry that didn't work out!!
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.