Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder Head Temp Sensor

Cylinder Head Temp Sensor

.... tried search = no joy.

How many have incorporated a cylinder head temp sensor and gauge to your oldie? When I was flying (a lifetime ago), we always had a cylinder head gauge to look at with the reciprocating engines. It seems like a good thing to have. For those that have installed one, can you share your experience with the install - and type of sensor you used?

thanks,
    Last edited by KenJ; 04-22-2015 at 03:46 PM. Reason: clarity
    kj
    73 E Targa

There's a thread on Pelican where a pilot installed 6 CHT sensors and I think also 6 EGT sensors as well as an O2 sensor or two. A bit overkill I think unless you've got a big budget. The bulk of the cost was the thermocouple reader display if I remember correctly.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Here is a head temp gauge I had made and never used. It's available.
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images  

post #13 has some information about the parts. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ter-build.html
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Thank you. Like you said - perhaps a bit of overkill, but a very skilled application for getting engine info. ... surprised he didn't have a sensor for wheel bearing temps--jk. I enjoyed that. And thanks Chris for showing that beautifully finished gauge.

Oh, and while they were joking about getting signatures from aviation greats - I have a minor one. Loretta Foy signed me off on a check flight many years after... she was caught instructing in a bi-plane when the Japanese fighter/bombers flew by her on their way to Honolulu.

kj
    Last edited by KenJ; 04-23-2015 at 03:12 PM.
    kj
    73 E Targa

Cylinder head temp sensors can be very easy to install. You can get a cyl head temp sender in the Aviation community that simply replaces one of your spark plug washers. Not the least bit invasive.

Regards

Jim

Run "Fat" and don't worry about it.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I set the head temp/oil level and outside temp gauge in the dash but never wired it up that way. I had too many other things to do to get my car on the road back then. So I moved the outside temp gauge to the left and stuck in a clock. As I have a oil tank with a sending sensor not being used maybe next winter I hook the dash up like the picture. As #5 said in the old Short Circuit movie. "More input"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

As my buddy with Gulfstream Aerospace said after reading the EGT post on Pelican: "He may be an engineer but he's no technician".

Run fat, quit worrying about stuff that doesn't matter. It's a car where a hard landing due to "a mechanical" is pulling over to the side of the road.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

If need the temps and can pull over, just read it with an infra red temp gauge. Accurate with many other uses as well. Plus it reads the temp anywhere you point it not in one fixed position.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club