Thread: UK delivered 1973 S targa - Now in OZ

UK delivered 1973 S targa - Now in OZ

I've seen a number of DDK posts referring to UK delivered RHD 73 targas subsequently been exported to Australia - 2 possibly 3 cars?

Appreciate my next Q is broad and may not capture any responses, but here goes - I'd be interested to know if anyone back in England, has any recollection of these cars - actual qty, colours and specification. I appreciate the overall number of RHD 73 targas whether T E or S is very small.
    Interested to hear what people remember ?

Regards Michel

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vie...05c998767051f0
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-27-2015 at 03:56 PM.

I remember my late father telling me about his factory tour in September 1972 - where he saw (and subsequently photographed) an odd looking Targa. It was odd because it was RHD. He walked over to it, and read the build sheet which said erste rechts (1st right). I was there but too young to remember any of this

The tour guide soon realized, and asked Dad to do nothing with the photos until after the embargo was lifted in the subsequent January or February... which he duly did. Can you imagine that happening today?

The car was destined for a motor show somewhere later that year (Frankfurt perhaps? Earls Court?I don't know.)

We still have the slide and I often wonder what became of that car whenever I see a 73 RHD Targa. Does it still live somewhere dry in South Africa or Australia, or did it rust away when it was just regarded as an "old Targa"?

Justin

Hi justin you've had a charmed early life no doubt

It'd be great to see a posted image of the first RHD targa as seen by you and your dad

The quantity, colours and specification are all available on Ddk but not as a blanket response. The guy with all the answers is keen to respond to specific requests on individual cars for their owner only but not so keen on giving out blanket information about lots of 911's in one hit.

I can tell you the total number of Rhd F series targas (they were produced in 1973 only) built and that information I posted on the Ddk thread.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Hi mike
    As per my last post on DDK - happy to share the vin chassis details , if someone could let me know who to contact? I've heard various numbers quoted with a suggested 18 UK delivered 1973 S With 2 or 3 been sent down to Australia

Some say 12 are known to exist - we are wondering then have we located the bakers dozen?

Cheers Michel
    Last edited by michel; 04-27-2015 at 01:56 AM.

There's an original sepia 2.4 s that has appeared in Sydney painted another colour and forward dated.....like so may early cars in Australia it started its life in the uk.

It's being restored, but I don't have the chassis number.... I could ask though.

Justin if the public info discussed on DDK has accuracy, that makes with the yellow car we have uncovered and the Sepia car either 2 of 2, or there is still another UK car whereabouts unknown in Australia.

Mike you have mail

here is the picture I referred to in Post #2.

I wonder if the car still survives? And if so, where it is.

2nd attempt at posting the picture.... ah technology
    Attached Images Attached Images