Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche Fasteners - Nuts, Bolts, Screws and Washers

Cadmium plating is still available. Here in Northern California many people use Hy-Tech Plating in San Carlos. They still do it.
    Jeff Jensen

I can get things cad plated.

Mark is absolutely right about thin coatings. I would send a few disposable pieces to a plater as a test before sending a whole batch.

You could get a box back with hardware that even a 6 point socket would mar the yellow.
    Tru6 Restoration & Design
    69S Targa, Velvet Green
    73T Coupe, Gemini Blue
    Early S Registry #1462

Quote Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
    .... The original finishes on the early cars (not sure the exact cut off years) were Cadmium plated and in later years the factory also switched to Yellow Zinc Dichromate protective finish. ...
    i think the change happened during my66
    broke several `66 the early ones had no yellow zinc parts...

That's correct, very few yellow zinc parts on '65 cars, a few interesting coatings such as what appears to be nickel on some engine linkage and cross bar parts, slight yellow tint on the carb actuator bar and of course the entire intake is a bright yellow conversion coating. Almost all engine fasteners are Kamax 8G, including 8mm nuts. Finishes are clear zinc (silver finish) nuts with black oxide wavy washers on the case, clear zinc bolts and integrated washers for smaller fasteners.
    Cole Scrogham
    Porsche Restoration
    911, 912, 911R, RS, RSR, IROC

From my understanding yellow zinc coating wasn't legally used in Germany till 67. Before that some yellow zinc parts were produced outside of Germany and used on our cars.

Quote Originally Posted by cscrogham View Post
    Almost all engine fasteners are Kamax 8G, including 8mm nuts.
    In addition to KAMAX (KAMAX-Werke Rudolf Kellermann GmbH), the hardware products of BAUER & SCHAURTE were common on Porsche engines and transmissions, from the 356 days into the 1980's.
    These included the registered product names of VERBUS (Verbindungselemente Bauer und Schaurte), INBUS (Innensechskantschraube Bauer und Schaurte) and later KARRO, the former brand of Karcher Schraubenwerke GmbH.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Name:  DSCN6557.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  96.6 KB

There was an article in the 356 Registry magazine an issue or two ago about plating (for 356s of course). I'll see if I can find it.
    Tru6 Restoration & Design
    69S Targa, Velvet Green
    73T Coupe, Gemini Blue
    Early S Registry #1462

Interesting - I stumbled upon this thread after replacing harmonic dampener on my daughter's mustang and noticed the torque to yield bolt was a Spanish Kamax M12 x 1.25.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by bfunke View Post
    ...and noticed the torque to yield bolt was a Spanish Kamax M12 x 1.25.
    How do you know that this bolt was made in Spain? Did you receive a replacement bolt, in a package?
    They do have plants in several countries, including Spain...

http://www.kamax.com/en/

The tensile strength appears to be rated in kilogram-force (110 kgf/mm2), and not in a standard ISO grade, which is curious.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

The Corvette people have been doing this for the past 30 years. At this point they've catalogued every single nut and bolt for the 1953 to 1967 cars. Paragon carries all the hardware.

Here's a sample page.

The reason i mention this is the way they display the hardware. They use a searchable data base. Here's a sample page.

One nice thing about Corvette judging is that cars do not compete against each other. They compete against a standard. You can actually have several cars win the top award. Porsche judging is stuck in the competitive format. Someone wins and someone loses. That's why Porsche judging is so political. Ok, I'm done ranting.

Richard Newton