Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: MY 1970 911E Restoration Project

Got the door panels/handle & pockets installed this week. I am not completely happy with the fit of the rear door pockets near the back edge. The contours of the after market trim piece, the pocket and the release handle all do not line up perfectly. I may try some tweaking.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Time for another update.

Since my last post I got the door pockets, handles and pulls straightened out to my satisfaction. I also restored the two snail horns and installed them along with the MFI fuel pump and windshield wipers. I tested the electrical to make sure everything functions properly. I also restored the original rear view mirror.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

I also got my engine lid grill back from Shaun at Tru 6. He did a masterful job. He also applied his artistry to my window frames, door handles and original Durant mirror.

Next up are the smuggler's lid and gas tank to complete the trunk compartment.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

Looking great Tom!!! You're moving right along!!
    1969 911 E #824

The photos do not quite do Shaun's work justice. I remember talking with him about the amount of work that goes into them to make them not merely very good, but excellent.

When do you put the motor in?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    The photos do not quite do Shaun's work justice. I remember talking with him about the amount of work that goes into them to make them not merely very good, but excellent.

When do you put the motor in?
    Hope to start to build it in April and install in time to get some driving in before next winter. I know it is a snail's pace but I am not into setting aggressive goals. I am enjoying the journey.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

Wonderful work, Tom !! Great attention to detail.
    George Kehler in Tennessee

1955 356 coupe
    1971 911S (knee deep in restoration)
    1997 993 Targa

Fantastic thread! Great work!
    Collection Manager - HH Motorcars, LLC

Currently Restoring - 1973 Carrera RS 2.7 - 1970 Porsche 914-6

www.hhmotorcars.com

Thank you for all details in restoring your car. Very helpful to me in my quest to “bring back” our ‘71T. We believe we can get several more years of driving pleasure from this car before we embark on the restoration.

Thanks again for your great thread.

DJ.

Time again for a progress update. Small but satisfying steps since my last update.

I installed the fuel vapor tank in the fender. Since this new OEM fender did not have the straps attached to the headlight bucket, I fabricated new straps from an old muffler bracket.

Next came the headlight trim rings. The gap on the top of the fender between the lip for trim ring and the fender edge was too narrow to allow the trim rings to mount with the OEM seals installed. I had to use the thinner 356 type seals to mount them properly. Also installed the new horn grills from ATF. Nice fit without too much adjustment required.

Now that I had all the electricals sorted to my satisfaction, I installed the restored gas tank and test fitted the filler neck.

Next up, I will complete the installation of the filler neck and them move on the bumpers before starting the engine build.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E