Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what octane do you use on your stock 2.4 engine? (and ethanol?)

what octane do you use on your stock 2.4 engine? (and ethanol?)

If there has been a thread about this before - sorry - please reply with the link

if not --

those of you that have stock 2.4 liter engines: do you use "regular", "mid grade" or "premium"?

here in Colorado the posted octane numbers are 85, 87 and 91 respectively

I have always believed that if you can't hear pinging, you are OK

I ran 85 in my 73S for years and then a mechanic I trust said i should run 91

isn't it true that higher octane fuel is more difficult to "combust"?

could 91 cause a misfire in my car?

and the subject of ethanol: the nearest place to get 87 ethanol free is 23 miles from my house - do you folks seek it out or not worry about it?
    73 911S Targa

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    higher octane slows the burn down, in theory some loss of power. If it doesn't ping use lower octane. In Oregon we can buy alcohol free gas but only in Premium, so that is what I run, loss of power or not. Gordon

On my two 72 S's it will depend on what I'm doing. If its just freeway driving/ touring, then I use 89 octane. When I'm autocrossing or time trialing then I'll use the 93 octane. I have even run them on 87 with no problem, but not when I'm flogging them.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Pulled this from a thread on using iridium spark plugs and what octane fuel should be used with the 2.4 and MFI.

Check Measure Adjust page 36 says
    2.4 engines should use 87 octane fuel, engines operating on higher octane fuel will not run properly since the greater the anti knock capacity (octane number) of the fuel, the more difficult the fuel becomes to ignite.

Hope this helps

Lash
    1963 356-B T6 not running
    1972 911-T sold
    1972 911-S Targa
    1979 M/B 450 SLC

I use 87 regular, ethanol free. The station is about 20 miles away, but worth the drive. 93 ethanol free is close to home, but the engine runs well on 87

I use 87 octane ethanol free. We have Racetrac stations all over Florida. I spent thousands of dollars last year on fuel pumps and one rusted gas tank in my collection. I'm ethanol free now.

Richard Newton
    Historic Racing Images

agree with the no "ethanol" if you can find it - regardless of octane go sans ethanol - but if 87 it's fine
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

thanks for the replies

higher octane = more ethanol, correct?
    73 911S Targa

it is a cheap way to add octane - yes - not to mention a way to move farm production away from food
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Most gasoline that has ethanol in it will contain up to 10% by volume. Here are some articles to help explain a bit..

How is octane level "created"...

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthi.../aa070401a.htm

Some concerns about use of ethanol in fuel...

http://www.fuel-testers.com/gasoline...hanol_E10.html
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100