I am installing new webbing for my seat belts and I'm a bit confused as to how the belt is routed between the B-pillar and seat.

I assumed that the tongue, when sitting at rest (retracted, not in use) near the B-pillar, would naturally face toward the receiver in the middle of the car. And that way certainly works. But at the EASY gathering on Saturday I noticed that the cars had the tongue facing outward, with a corresponding twist in the belt between the B-pillar and seat. When the belt is grabbed and the tongue oriented to go to the receiver as it's pulled across your chest, the belt "untwists" and gets oriented correctly.

In my state of confusion, I checked my other cars (non-Porsche) and found I had one car with each approach. Undaunted, I asked an Early S member to check his car, and he found he had one side facing in, and one side facing out!

So can anyone shed some light on this? My unscientific analysis suggests that having the tongue facing in works better if the B-pillar mount is high, and the opposite is true if the B-pillar mount is low. The mount in our 911s is relatively low.

So:

1. Is the tongue supposed to face out when retracted (not in use) and sitting just below the B-pillar mount?
2. Is there a twist in the belt between the B-pillar and seat?
3. When you are sitting with the seat belt correctly attached, is the label on the outside (exposed) or against the seat?

A photo of my belt with the tongue out is shown below. I think this is right but I'm not really sure. For completeness, car is a 73, German delivery. I will be installing the correct Repa German weave with the thread down the center.

Name:  20150502_213948.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  64.7 KB