Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1973 911s

Quote Originally Posted by jussy1254 View Post
    I've just searched for these rubber bumperettes on US Spec 911s and have only seen them fixed to Ts and Es. Is it possible that the S did not have them?
    They were fitted as standard to all '73 T/E/S US market cars, but the front buffers differed slightly on 911S models due to the wider "S" bumper trim.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Very nice car! Congrats and Well worth the wait.
    Hope you drive the crap out it and post more great pics.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
    David,

The factory workshop manual clearly states that they were installed on US market cars effective September 1, 1972 production.
    Even if US regulations did not take effect until January 1973, the cars were built to those regulations beginning in September.
    Porsche did not build cars for the US market in September, October etc which could not be sold after December.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA
    Pre-January US cars were delivered with the metal overriders with rubber facings but in the black chrome finish in the US (optional for Europe). Later cars in the 1973 MY (manufacture for which starts in August after the factory's summer vacation) F series were delivered in the US with the large foam/rubber 'horns' front and back. My car was a US delivery 1973 'T' and had the Euro style overriders from new. Therefore quite possible that an early US delivery S of 1973 MY doesn't have the big rubber horns.

Just my .02

Cheers,
    Mark
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

Quote Originally Posted by 91133 View Post
    Pre-January US cars were delivered with the metal overriders with rubber facings but in the black chrome finish in the US (optional for Europe). Later cars in the 1973 MY (manufacture for which starts in August after the factory's summer vacation) F series were delivered in the US with the large foam/rubber 'horns' front and back. My car was a US delivery 1973 'T' and had the Euro style overriders from new. Therefore quite possible that an early US delivery S of 1973 MY doesn't have the big rubber horns.
    Mark, as I asked David, do you have any factory reference for this information?

If pre-January US cars were delivered with the metal overriders with rubber facings in the US, then all unsold cars were no longer legal to sell on January 1st.
    They could have possibly been updated at extra expense and time, but is there any documentation that that actually happened?
    It would have been an inept strategy to suddenly legalize cars at the last moment, away from the factory, and not begin to produce them months in advance.

Here is the factory reference stating "Front and rear bumper horns of energy absorbing material effective with Sep-1-72 production."
    The bottom of the page states "USA only"; I can post the whole page, or you can reference it in the factory Workshop Manual.

I would be interested to know where this other information comes from.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Name:  DSCN6521.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  48.2 KB

In fact, the US law took effect on September 1, 1972 for newly manufactured cars.

In 1971, the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) issued the country's first regulation applicable to passenger car bumpers.
    Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 215 (FMVSS 215), "Extra Protection", took effect on 1 September, 1972- when most automakers would begin producing their model year 1973 vehicles.
    The standard prohibited functional damage to specified safety-related components such as headlamps and fuel system components
    when the vehicle is subjected to barrier crash tests at 5 miles per hour (8 km/h) for front and 2.5 miles per hour (4 km/h) for rear bumper systems.
    The requirements effectively eliminated automobile bumper designs that featured integral automotive lighting components such as tail lights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumper_(automobile)

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

This is why we need a judging manual. Oh, that's right PCA hates manuals. How would they be able to give awards to their friends if things were actually written down?

Name:  911 @ Homestead.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  60.0 KB

I think my '73 was the last long hood to run track events. I can't remember the last time I saw a long hood at a PCA or Chin event.

Richard Newton

All very interesting Jon B, and admittedly not exactly what I had always thought timing wise. I have seen the same manual reference you refer to, but I have also seen numerous low VIN # cars with a black epoxy coated steel over rider that I had always assumed was an interim usage until the actual requirement date came about. ???
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardnew View Post
    This is why we need a judging manual. Oh, that's right PCA hates manuals. How would they be able to give awards to their friends if things were actually written down?

Name:  911 @ Homestead.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  60.0 KB

I think my '73 was the last long hood to run track events. I can't remember the last time I saw a long hood at a PCA or Chin event.

Richard Newton
    Hi Richard, no question PCA needs judging manuals,,,,but in my experience as a judge I have never been aware of any expressed judges favoritism to make sure a "favorite" won a place. Not sayin it couldn't happen,,,,just never seen it.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

member #1515
    Jon, If you look at the VIN sticker, it clearly states that the car complies with all laws as to date of manufacture, not date of sale.
    Although, those things are so ugly that I'm sticking to my version of the story !!

Jussy, That radio is obviously wrong for your car, please let me take it off your hands.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

9113300429 was built in 10/72 and came with the US Spec rubber bumpers front and rear ....What will go back: nothing up front and a set of NOS black epoxy steel bumpers out back. As Ed stated, I believe some very early VIN '73's came with steel bumpers....not sure when they switched but it was clearly before 10/72. My understanding is the black epoxy steel bumpers stayed on ROW '73's through the model year. The German newspaper my NOS epoxy steel bumpers were wrapped in is dated June '73.

I am discovering lot's of things changed during the '73 model year. My supposition is that Porsche knew the bumper and other safety changes were coming and as such started incorporating some of those changes during the '73 model year.

Couple of other changes:

1. front bumper brackets for my 10/72 build car are reinforced with gussets...This was not the case on '72's...but not sure what month that change occurred
    2. Door safety bars. From what I can determine, all cars built after Jan. 73 had safety bars in the doors...pre Jan. built cars do not.
    3. black paint on the underside of the car....seemed to get less and less as the model year progressed...but definitely varied whether it was Franz or Fritz w/ the spray gun