Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 1973 911s

... digging in my archive I found #0429 before restoration ... quite a change!

Name:  0429.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  13.4 KB
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Body panels look arrow-straight. Beautiful car. Nothing said here (other than overriders) is more than a few minutes work to swap out. The main thing is to drive and enjoy it! Congratulations. A 3-year wait would have been tough to bear.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

On the blue interior thread there is a photo of original 73 sport seats in what looks like leather. They have D headrests.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    On the blue interior thread there is a photo of original 73 sport seats in what looks like leather. They have D headrests.
    So when were the 'peanuts' introduced? Is Tony at Autobahn an authority on this?

I see 72/73 they were changed from Ds
    1958 porsche 356A Speedster T2
    1973 porsche 911S coupe

I do not know when but can say from my own ownership, the following. 72S leather stock seats had D, 72S vinyl sport seats had D, 73S vinyl sport seats had peanut, 73S leather/perf stock seats had D, my current 73S vinyl stock seats/madras inserts has D. All of these cars were original, bought a long time ago, 80's and 90's. That is all I know. I think Eric Linden is up to speed on this as much as anyone. I would ask Eric.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Quote Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
    In fact, the US law took effect on September 1, 1972 for newly manufactured cars.

In 1971, the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) issued the country's first regulation applicable to passenger car bumpers.
    Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 215 (FMVSS 215), "Extra Protection", took effect on 1 September, 1972- when most automakers would begin producing their model year 1973 vehicles.
    The standard prohibited functional damage to specified safety-related components such as headlamps and fuel system components
    when the vehicle is subjected to barrier crash tests at 5 miles per hour (8 km/h) for front and 2.5 miles per hour (4 km/h) for rear bumper systems.
    The requirements effectively eliminated automobile bumper designs that featured integral automotive lighting components such as tail lights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumper_(automobile)

Jon B.
    Vista, CA
    I suspect that as with most things Porsche there are variables at play in the actual processes and parts vis a vis the paperwork at a factory and dealer level - have you seen one of the early 73 Targas with the internal body parts from the 72 oelklappe cars? - but what I do know is that my car which was the 235th T produced in MY 1973 came with the non foam small black horns and this post from Harvey W who was at Niello at the time seems to confirm they retro-fitted after 1 January (when the law came into effect in terms of sales)...fascinating stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    As Brian pointed out the 73.5 refers to the T changeover to CIS. The rest of the 73 smaller production line changes (horns, decals, seat bolts etc) were through out the models.

Only the very early cars had the metal bumperetts and not related to the CIS or the Ts. Each dealer recieved about one or two ? before the rubber bumperetts took over. It is difficult to find and original 73 car that had the metal bumperetts as many were "updated" even before delivery. I have seen a 72 that had the rubber ones installed as soon as they were available (to look like a 73) So much for originality.....
    H

Cheers,
    Mark
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

I had heard the peanuts were used on some leather seats, but again, the Porsche world is full of variables.

Data point: I have a pair of peanut headrests that came to me without seats and they are leather. So at some point, I suspect they were paired with leather upholstery as they are clearly clad in factory-quality covering...
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by jussy1254 View Post
    So when were the 'peanuts' introduced? Is Tony at Autobahn an authority on this?

I see 72/73 they were changed from Ds
    I've only seen the Peanut headrests starting in 72 but, who knows, could have been a few late 71s that received them. There are other late 71 cars that started receiving 72MY items like the side mirror. Having said that, I've only seen the peanuts on vinyl seats. I was schooled long ago that the D headrests came on the later 72/73 seats if they were supplied in leather.

That is why I asked what was on your COA. As for experts, you aren't going to find many better than the many members of this board.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Sorry Biencaneve.......#429 is not quite finished.....the car pictured is NOT #429....but I sure hope 429 looks as nice as this car when we are done....hopefully soon

The real 5 MPH bumper law came into effect in 1974 when the requirement was for a recoverable design to reduce the costs.
    The earlier law was more about protecting the lights for safety reasons. Porsche didn't have lights in the bumpers at that time so it didn't apply.
    The change to the foam bumper guards was a stop gap, learning lesson for Porsche and probably satisfied the DOT.
    The Sept 72 requirement as previously stated was for date of production, not date of delivery.
    As I said, most dealers got 1 or 2 that were made earlier than Sept 72........With the dipped style black metal guards.
    And I'm sure that date wasn't carved in stone......
    H