Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 915 transmission question...

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    To check the coupler bushing, move the gear selector and hold the shaft going to the box. check for free play, there should be almost none.
    maaaaybe it has a millimiter of play front to back. none from left to right.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

member #1515
    Sounds good, as much as you may hate it, don't know why, try some swepco and see what happens.
    It really was THE only lube for the older boxes before Kendall came along. I've got around 145k on my box with no rebuilds so, to say the least, it's worked for me.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

New bushings in the shift coupling that are tight will amplify transmission noise . Tight bushings left to right will also lightly preload the shift forks and create some noise .

Solid mounts will amplify noise, as mentioned earlier. So will incorrect adjustment procedure, what was your adjustment method?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Solid mounts will amplify noise, as mentioned earlier. So will incorrect adjustment procedure, what was your adjustment method?

per wevo spec I guess. 3rd gear....move some sh$t. etc...The shifter itself interacts with the transmission fantastic imho. The wevo shifter is easily the best thing I've bought for the car.

its funny, as time goes on here, I'm feeling like taking the wevo mounts out, and putting the seats back in the rear with the rear parcel shelf panel area thing too. Try to find a compromise.

went for a drive with a friend yesterday, said its nothing to worry about. I put some 80/90 in and really notice virtually no difference in sound or whine over the synthetic. gear selection feels a bit "rounder" I guess. Less notchy I think it would be described.

When I get home at night and its late, I turn the car off, hit the clutch and roll into the driveway so I dont wake up the kids. oddly, it still make the sound but very slowly, ttinktinktinkink tink tink tink...tink...tink.........tink...stop. maybe thats a different sound. I dont know. either way the rattle while driving is probably just 915 noise amplified by as said, wevo mounts, new coupler, and a missing boot in the back seat.

I'm just glad to discover its not the engine, which still runs great. It has developed a leak, but at the junction on the oil line thats just above the line that goes to the oil cooler on the right side. thats kind of a bummer as the heat exchangers have to come off to replace. Apparently I was supposed to replace it when I rebuild the motor. Who knew.

Here is my audience whilst changing the gear oil last night. We hang out every friday night. I took flack the entire time. Nice guys. :P

Last edited by 72targa; 05-18-2015 at 08:45 AM.
    -Kris Clewell

Kris I didn't realize you had a Wevo shifter,,,,,so telling you how to adjust a factory shifter to eliminate noise isn't going to matter.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

what color are the wevo mounts?

- you have 2 or 3 different options for softer mounts, depending on the color of the current ones

besides that, you can set the softness of the front mounts and rear mounts differently

also did you replace the bushings on the shift tube and shift ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    New bushings in the shift coupling that are tight will amplify transmission noise . Tight bushings left to right will also lightly preload the shift forks and create some noise .
    Bingo! Richy, udaman........

Regards

Jim

thanks for the input guys. wevo mounts are the black. I'm thinking of going stock.
    -Kris Clewell

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Clewell View Post

When I get home at night and its late, I turn the car off, hit the clutch and roll into the driveway so I dont wake up the kids. oddly, it still make the sound but very slowly, ttinktinktinkink tink tink tink...tink...tink.........tink...stop. maybe thats a different sound. I dont know.

This isn't a shifter adjustment noise, or trans mount bushing material issue, imo.
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436