Thread: $3,900 for media blasting and zinc primer - Am I getting ripped off?

$3,900 for media blasting and zinc primer - Am I getting ripped off?

hi all. i just got a bill for this service and i was pretty shocked to say the least. anyone know what the going rate is for this? they shop said they charge time and materials and apparently the undercoat was the culprit. someone make me feel better please.

That is expensive-probably a P-car surcharge. Depending on the part of the country you are in and the media used, it can run as little as 6-800. Plus priming-another 3-400. I've paid as much as 1800 for a Camaro, with another 300 to prime. 3900 seems quite high for a small car.
    It is possible to warp panels depending on the media used and the skill of the operator. So, I suppose if the car was heavily undercoated and a very expensive media was used and the operator was being extra careful and the job required a lot of hours-a price close to yours could occur.
    67 911 , 69 911S, Ford V Ferrari 906LH, 85 Carrera...and-gasp! a bunch of Corvettes, Musclecars and Italian crap(330GTC,GTA/M,308GTB)

EarlyS # 603, GroupV #2

all depending on the result and yes more carefullnes is more expensive. for myself, if the work is perfect for the car and my needs, than ok, but they could have told in the first place in which direction you should expect the overall costs.

average is the above mentioned, but st with average result...
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

was it 'undercoat' on top of the zinc primer or is the zinc primer the undercoat? I just paid $1800 for just sandblasting a 356. no coat, no primer. (not much rust in AZ)

~J~
    air cooled only

I paid about 1250 incl enclosed trailer delivery to my body shop 100 miles away. This was a Targa and was plastic media blasted with a lot of loose parts done as well, no primer (my body shop did it the day the blaster delivered it)

Tub and 2 doors blasted, soda, aluminium oxide and a little steel as needed. Then epoxy primer. $750.00. 95% of all the schutz was removed before sending out. Quote had been a thousand, but was told "there wasn't much work too do on this glorified VW", when I picked it up. I was not a bit insaulted.

Later sent the 2 fender, 2doors, front and rear deck lids and all the hinges to be electrolytic (sp) dipped and e-coated $600.00
    I will be posting on this project soon.
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

I guess it depends on the location. I had my '67 Targa done in Fresno, CA for $1500, but no primer. The previous owner had painted the car with epoxy and it was a bitch to get off. No warpage, though. FYI, the shop talked me out of soda blasting any car because the aftermath causes future painting problems (so they said).

But since you have the job done, it really doesn't make much difference if you got charged too much. You just should warn future customers of the high cost of doing business with that company. Word of mouth is precious in our community.
    Jerry G

"Confidence is the feeling you
    have before you fully understand
    the situation."

In my experience having many blasted with various means as well as full chemical, if you had the heavy undercoat removed typical of 73 911's, I can see that amount. Probably they had to use a lot of hand work inside the compartments as well as the underside.

I don't have to tell you....but next time get an estimate. No one likes surprises.

RoySmalley
    www.eurowerks.com
    Roy Smalley
    member 877

The vinyl based undercoating on 911s is like concrete. Having taken it off with using everything under the sun. it was a hard job. If it was in good shape with no rust, you should have left it. It is not an easy job, so not surprised that it took a while. I wonder what the shop's experience is with this type of undercoating.. May be the first time they encountered it, and they did not know what they were getting into.
    -----

71 911E RS Clone (Analog)
    88 928 S4 (V8 Trans Axle)
    99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278

Quote Originally Posted by drwhosc View Post
    The vinyl based undercoating on 911s is like concrete. Having taken it off with using everything under the sun. it was a hard job. If it was in good shape with no rust, you should have left it. It is not an easy job, so not surprised that it took a while. I wonder what the shop's experience is with this type of undercoating.. May be the first time they encountered it, and they did not know what they were getting into.
    this is likely the case.
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436