Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gas tank seal placement ?

gas tank seal placement ?

Is it positioned at the edge of the opening? or further up? Damned if I can remember where the remnant of the factory piece was before I had it media blasted. Thank you for the help...Mike

I always attach the seal (which comes with a sticky side) to the tank itself.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

sounds like the right approach....but where on the tank? near the lip where it is bolted down to the chassis, or lower near the opening in the trunk floor? I would think that whatever water got into the space between the tank and the chassis trunk floor you would want to drain off, which argues for the seal being place as far up near the lip as possible. Guess I should trial fit the tank to determine where the mating surface is.

My tank with seal

Name:  911 3 023.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  71.8 KB
    Registry #2507

1970 911T

yes...that's it...pretty obvious now from that photo....thanks

Ha. I bought that piece, which is super expensive considering it's foam with stick backing tape, and my restorer refused to put it back on for me. He said all it did was gather water and cause rust. So he didn't... Can't say I notice a difference...
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

member #1515
    What did he use to seat the tank and seal the trunk?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Assuming you are asking me? (if OP, then sorry). The tank had been pulled for resealing and the front pan was redone at the same time, so I am guessing "nothing". The tank is mounted on the lip of the pan without that compressed foam, the whole area was touched up with some texture paint to match, I think - I haven't looked there in a long time. I have not noticed any difference since, but now that I asked, I bet I'm gonna regret asking ;-) Go ahead - tell me why this is a terrible idea... his reasoning at the time made sense, he had the foam piece in hand and it's not hard to install, so I trusted his reasoning about it picking up moisture (but they do race cars - Dave White in Tampa).
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

member #1515
    Greg,
    I asked because I would think you would get water intrusion without a seal. Others have used a closed cell foam weatherstripping from Lowes or Home Depot which is a lot cheaper than the original.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Fair enough ;-) Looks tight enough to me, and if I'm honest that car hasn't seen a rain drop since (not that I fear for it, just because it's a 5th car, not the car you take out in a downpour on purpose ;-) The original seal - which I still have somewhere, does look like it'd trap moisture... It was horrendously expensive for the material...
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002