Thread: 73S - quarter glass pinch weld seal - question please

73S - quarter glass pinch weld seal - question please

May I please ask for confirmation on installing the U-shaped seal that goes on the pinch welds that surround the quarter glass opening. I know that a cut piece of this seal goes on the vertical 'B' pillar, but need confirmation if the other longer cut piece is to go around the entire opening so as to seal the horizontal upper and lower and rear curved pinch welds that make up the glass opening. Thank you all.

not sure if i got the question right but i think you mean this:

but i would not call it seal

it stops where the aluminum trim begins
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thank you, and yes, that is seal I am talking about. Interestingly, I found what seems to be the original pieces which would match your description of use (in terms of their lengths, but then I found another set - the shorter section for the vertical 'B' pillar, and then a longer length that is sufficient to fit all the way around the opening to include going underneath the aluminum trim piece if needed. I don't believe the aluminum trim where it covers the pinch weld is wide enough o even fit over this seal, and with your description, it seems it does not. Your description was most helpful - thank you.

What I have seen most often is that the end of the longer piece tucks inside the chrome trim about 1/4"-3/8" or so. The chrome trim end is 'flared' just enough to cover it.
    (in reference to 4 swb cars)
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

In trial fitting the seal to run under the complete length of the aluminum trim piece, it seems to fit fine. In what I am seeing, there certainly needs to be some type of material - if not the seal - to run under the length of the trim piece as the thickness of the pinch weld does not fill the width of the channel in the trim that fits over it. Does anyone know if there is a reason NOT to use the seal the entire length, or is it preferable to use something else. I see in the first poster's photos that some substance is being used that the trim fits over, just not sure what it is. Thanks for any additional clarification you can offer.

Shop manual calls for 'terostat' strip under the stainless trim piece, and different thickness washers as called out in the parts book. I have never seen any additional material under the trim piece, and the u-shaped channel slightly ends under the trim piece as was posted above.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

jep- thats terostat what i use same stuff that goes betwen the fender and body....i lubed it with cavity wax---this makes positioning more easy

had an other look at some of my broken swb`s none of them had the u-shape thing going all the way around.
    nor have i found one of this extra longinus in my shelfes.

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    jep- thats terostat what i use same stuff that goes betwen the fender and body....i lubed it with cavity wax---this makes positioning more easy

had an other look at some of my broken swb`s none of them had the u-shape thing going all the way around.
    nor have i found one of this extra longinus in my shelfes.
    Thank you all for you further replies. have plenty of terostat left from the recent install of the front fenders so I'll put some of it to good use.