Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone fitted tried this combo? 215/60R15 + 7" Fuch + standard LWB body

Has anyone fitted tried this combo? 215/60R15 + 7" Fuch + standard LWB body

My 73E targa is nearing the end of its restoration. I have 7x15's wheels ready for all four corners.

Has anyone tried to fit 215/60's on a 'regular' 7" (i.e. not 7R) wheel on the back of a LWB car?

The car is lowered, has stiffer torsion bars, a reasonable amount of -ve camber (and a 3.2 in the back).
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

My 73 Targa, lowered with stiffer bars and 2.5° camber, had 205/50 x 15's on standard 7's but they were tight.
    You can use this site to find out what the setup will do. http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
    It will tell you where the new tire will be compared to your existing setup. Very helpful.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by obrut View Post
    My 73E targa is nearing the end of its restoration. I have 7x15's wheels ready for all four corners.

Has anyone tried to fit 215/60's on a 'regular' 7" (i.e. not 7R) wheel on the back of a LWB car?

The car is lowered, has stiffer torsion bars, a reasonable amount of -ve camber (and a 3.2 in the back).
    It ain't going to work, unless you are prepared to have burned/bubbled paint 3 or 4 inches above your rear wheel wells. This setup has been hashed out over decades. Yes, you wil find someone that says it worked just fine on his car, but it won't on most all narrow bodied 911s. There is a reason Porsche put flares on Carrera RSs. It wasn't just to make the car look cool. It was done so 7 X 15 alloy wheels with 215 X 60 X 15 tires will fit on the car.

Regards

Jim

205 60s is a good size on 7x15s

Quote Originally Posted by chiroracer View Post
    205 60s is a good size on 7x15s
    Those will rub, also.

Thanks Gents.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

I run 205/55's on 7x15's with no issue.
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

It ALL depends on the ride height!!! If you've got 2" between fender edge and tire it will work! There must be a million pages of threads on this. And of course it depends on how the car is used,,,driven gently on smooth roads works better than thousands of miles on all kinds of roads at all kinds of speed. You can add to the information pool by doing it and reporting back please.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I have a 1970 car that was California low, with 205/65's, driving east cross country, I wore grooved divots in the rears by Yosemite. No sign of any rubber in the fender wells, and I never noticed any rubbing. None the less surprised the hell out of me.
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

They fit on my 73 S with 7" x 15" and 215/60/15 on all four corners... fenders are rolled...hits my oil cooler louvers when i crank it to the right and on some bumps.

hope this helps..