Thread: Cibie Bi-Iode - My replica Headlight units - Chrome/Clear-Silver

Cibie Bi-Iode - My replica Headlight units - Chrome/Clear-Silver

++++++++++ SOLD +++++++++

This is the last set of Cibie Bi-Iode headlight units that I will put together.
    The box is finally empty after 4 years and I'm done with it.

This is a budget set that is made of:
    - New chromed bras rings with philips screws
    - New Hella SB19 20 21 lenses
    - New lens/ring seals
    - Used nice Cibie Bi-Iode units with a couple small touch ups, adjusted to fit this application
    - Original Hella SB19 outer buckets. blasted and done with fresh powdercoat with small issues.

The new Hella lenses have a slightly different lettering and logo on these later productions than the early ones have

About the Repro Bi-Iodes:
    Let me start with "they are not really repro's", but real used Cibie Bi-Iode units, just a little bigger that the original, similar in appearance:
    I've been working on converting the similar slightly bigger Citroen DS Cibie Bi-iode units and converting them is quite labour intensive, so it takes me a couple of evenings to do that the right way....and off course I have been searching for buckets, rings and glasses for a couple of months, so I can offer a complete set.

The bigger ones won't fit into the SWB USA light inner buckets, however they do fit inside the SWB Hella USA light outer buckets. Problem with these Citroen units is that the bulb holders have very long extension made for the Citroen light housings to be able to replace the bulb from the inner front wing / wheel well. Also the mounting method is entirely different on these. I've adjusted all that on the repro's to make them fit.
    In my opinion, porsche should have used these bigger lights in the first place. There really is no benefit to use a 2nd metal bucket inside the outer bucket. (Which they did not do for the H1 and H4 lights) they even could have done without the glass on the Cibie units and use a fluted hella glass to shave off some more weight of the racers. (But it was probably a sponsor thing more than actual form follows function principle...)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 911_2.2T; 12-13-2016 at 05:37 AM.
    =========================================
    2.4T 1972 Targa - Tangerine German Delivery Ölklappe
    2.4T 1973 Coupe - Golden Green 911ST with 2.8 MFI TwinPlug
    1.7 1970 914-4 - Hell Elfenbein Weiss to be Sonauto GT with a Six
    Looking for engine #6522576
    Rgruppe #674

Well, if you are still reading, I'll explain what the touch ups and issues are.
    First of all, the used Bi-Iode units are 2 different types, they had more modern lenses wich I replaced with the older style lenses I harvested from sets that were not good enough to use anymore.
    They are glued in with white PE, so it will last a lifetime. Next to that you might notice that the position of the city light is slightly different, that is because it were two different style reflectors and I had to switch the long-range secondary mirror from one type to another reflector and also had to adjust the hole in the back of the main mirror for that. The secondary mirrors had yellow globes glued in and they were broken, zo these were taken out and the center ring where the bulb sits is painted grey. Next to that there are a couple small grey touch up spots on that secondary miror edges. If I had not told you that, you probably had not noticed it and it does not really show.

Then on to the Hella buckets, well that is a totally different story, lots of these are rusted a way and as soon as you blast them, you get holes..... I have thrown away a couple of these over time en the ones in this set were to good to toss, but not show quality since one bucket has a small pinhole next to the original (bigger) hole in the side and slight corrosion evidence. (Now Blasted and Powdercoated, so it will last for years)
    If you just take the price of the lenses and new chrome rings you are already close to the asking price of this set..... so I think I'm asking a fair price for these.
    All in all it is still a very representable set that would look good on any driver hotrod.
    Last edited by 911_2.2T; 05-27-2015 at 02:24 PM.
    Rgruppe #674

Over the past couple of weeks I have been contacted to convert Bi-Iode units for others and I am not in the market to do that.
    John A. has asked me to write up the process on how to convert these things so he can build a couple sets for others.
    I will do that as soon as time permits, but I got to warn people that think this is an easy and cheap alternative to the real deal.
    When I started the conversion for my own ride I was getting excited and bought as many units as I could find, then finding out that the Hella USA headlights are getting a rare item and more expensive by the month. When you have to throw away one out of three biode units, because they are rusty, clowdy, have broken lenses you name it, you get less exited.
    Then it takes 8-10 hours to convert and build a set and you lose motivation. Thats why it took me that long to empty my box and get these out.
    Not really a profitable exercise, but at least there is a couple cars loking a lot smarter now
    (and please don't ask me for more sets, my box is empty, done with it, not motivated to do more)
    Rgruppe #674

If you want other pictures just ping me
    Rgruppe #674

I'll take them if you still have them. Lee

I have a set of these that Alex built that were never used. The ones that I have are missing a small piece to retain the H4 bulb, but they do have the amber lower bulb.

If he doesn't have another set I will let go of the ones that I have...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Lee,
    The set is yours, I'll drop you a PM.

Marco,
    I still have a small package with your name on it in my empty box with 2 of the bulb holders.......
    Will sent them out to you this week. I know I promised you that over a year ago...
    Rgruppe #674

Ha! No worries, dude! Things happen and this was waaaaay down on the list. PM me if you need the address, and thank you.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Got the lights the other day. They look great, and were packaged very well. Cant wait to put them in.

Thanks Alex

Lee