Thread: 73S - anodized trim cleaning/polishing?

73S - anodized trim cleaning/polishing?

The attached photo shows the current condition of the lower trim on the quarter window glass. I would appreciate hearing if the condition of this piece is fatal (sure hope not), and if anodized trim is something that does not typically take to normal cleaning or polishing as other metals do (everything I have in the garage says not to use on anodized aluminum), can the anodized coating be removed and then the item polished in a traditional manner? If I am ultimately faced with replacing these window surrounds, I'd just the soon try something aggressive first and see what happens. Thoughts most welcome. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

timely question.

I've done this a number of times and am working thru it right now.

On various cars I've had over the years, I've found different anodizing and different materials, each of them respond to a variety of techniques, but I never know which is best until I dig in.

I've used acetone, paint thinner, sometimes even rubbing alcohol is enough to remove some black paint that previous owners have applied.

for deep anodize removal, something lye best is needed....but the concentration varies from piece to piece.

I've used drain cleaner (the most caustic you can buy, hair and grease removal, typically found in a black bottle that comes in a zip-lock bag in the big box stores).....I've used royal purple cleaning spray, seems gentler, and I've used the yellow ez-off oven cleaner.....

and then polish, mag wheel cleaner, mothers brand is my choice, flitz metal polish is pretty good, too, or any of the specialty brands from eastwood, or others.

some say rubbing it down with WD-40 will preserve the shine, I prefer a wax every six months (mothers wheel wax is a good choice).

I'm working on a project now, where I'm removing the black anodize from some trim, and this kit came highly recommended, although pricey for what it is.... https://mercedessource.com/store/ano...estoration-kit

good luck and let us know how you proceed and how the results stack up.

To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Quote Originally Posted by sonett43 View Post
    timely question.

I've done this a number of times and am working thru it right now.

On various cars I've had over the years, I've found different anodizing and different materials, each of them respond to a variety of techniques, but I never know which is best until I dig in.

I've used acetone, paint thinner, sometimes even rubbing alcohol is enough to remove some black paint that previous owners have applied.

for deep anodize removal, something lye best is needed....but the concentration varies from piece to piece.

I've used drain cleaner (the most caustic you can buy, hair and grease removal, typically found in a black bottle that comes in a zip-lock bag in the big box stores).....I've used royal purple cleaning spray, seems gentler, and I've used the yellow ez-off oven cleaner.....

and then polish, mag wheel cleaner, mothers brand is my choice, flitz metal polish is pretty good, too, or any of the specialty brands from eastwood, or others.

some say rubbing it down with WD-40 will preserve the shine, I prefer a wax every six months (mothers wheel wax is a good choice).

I'm working on a project now, where I'm removing the black anodize from some trim, and this kit came highly recommended, although pricey for what it is.... https://mercedessource.com/store/ano...estoration-kit

good luck and let us know how you proceed and how the results stack up.
    Thank you for taking the time with such a comprehensive reply...plenty of materials and techniques to try. I did review the suggested video on Quick-Glo that Cliff offered....will look at their website to see if its recommended for other surfaces other than chrome and glass. Thanks again!

lots of you tube videos if you want to sit in front of a computer

I saw a thread regarding the use of Autosol metal cleaner and some talcum powder.
    Serge

City of Ben Franklin and Cheesesteaks
    Instagram: Truevisionmediaworks

Early S Registry #2457
    Daisy: 1972 T with 2.7 engine and Webers
    LOOKING FOR 911 Engine # 6123044

Rowlf: 2017 Volvo S60 with Polestar Optimization

Mostro di Biscotti: 1975 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S Series 2

Veronica: 1987 Carrera coupe - curves in all the right places...SOLD
    Lil' Blue: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica87911 View Post
    I saw a thread regarding the use of Autosol metal cleaner and some talcum powder.
    That would be me…this frame looks like nothing. Here is the post here http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Today/page202 and on to page 203

Cheers,
    Mark
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

Quote Originally Posted by 91133 View Post
    That would be me…this frame looks like nothing. Here is the post here http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Today/page202 and on to page 203

Cheers,
    Mark
    Got some and will be doing the frames this weekend. I actually tried it on my stoveptop Bialetti espresso maker and it went from being tarnished to shiny.
    Serge

City of Ben Franklin and Cheesesteaks
    Instagram: Truevisionmediaworks

Early S Registry #2457
    Daisy: 1972 T with 2.7 engine and Webers
    LOOKING FOR 911 Engine # 6123044

Rowlf: 2017 Volvo S60 with Polestar Optimization

Mostro di Biscotti: 1975 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S Series 2

Veronica: 1987 Carrera coupe - curves in all the right places...SOLD
    Lil' Blue: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon SOLD

Having used very fine sandpaper to remove the clear anodized surface on some deeply scratched trim, I have to say that the anodizing is surprisingly thick on some of these pieces. It would be *theoretically possible* to sand out very fine scratches or cloudiness. Having said that, the last set of trim I did on a hot rod 911, I completely removed the anodizing and polished the aluminum, then clear coated it. Shinier than original, and certainly less durable, but our cars don't lead rough lives any more.

I have done some experimentation with removal, polishing and re-anodizing, but it is not for the faint of heart, as the anodizing can end up mottled for no apparent reason.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Has anyone given "chrome" powder coating a try?
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga