Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan restoration

Fan restoration

This may belong under technical but posting here first. Moderator feel free to move. Want to display my restored fan and give a "shout out" to Mark Motshagen who did the work. Fan is from my '67 911S which can be seen elsewhere on this registry.

First two pics are of the fan as removed by RS Werks who are doing the engine rebuild:

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  89.8 KBName:  003.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  106.2 KB

I initially had the fan bead blasted which actually revealed how bad the condition was. You can see the condition after blasting in the picture below. This also shows the chip repair that mark did to one of the blades.

Name:  Tom Doig 011.JPG
Views: 1637
Size:  119.4 KB

The last three show the finished product. Picture makes it look like medtal flake finish but in person its not. Third picture below much closer to the finish. Sorry about my photography mark.

Name:  012.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  52.1 KBName:  013.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  68.0 KB

This is a closeup of the finish.

Name:  014.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  97.3 KB

Couldn't be happier with result. If you want to add yellow tint as suggested in a previous thread by Frank Back and others it can be done. Mark says the yellow tint came from the perservative Porsche used to protect the metal for seaboard shipping. Not found on European cars. He won't ruin his work by doing it.

Mark you are the man.

Thanks

Tom

Banned
    Tom,
    It's simply a matter of taste.

There are those who want over-restored fans and Mark is great at those. Then there are those of us who are trying to replicate the original finish Porsche used.

I believe Mark paints his fans. There is no way to get an original finish by using paint.

Again, Mark does brilliant work if that's the look you're wanting.

Well said Frank. And you can see from the third picture there was no way to restore my fan. Too many "pock' marks. A lot more than some of my ex-girlfriends from my youth. I would have to check with Mark, but I believe the coating is something other than paint. Mark's point to me is that yellow coating does not appear on Euro fans. Just there like cosmoline used on other parts

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Tom,
    It's simply a matter of taste.

There are those who want over-restored fans and Mark is great at those. Then there are those of us who are trying to replicate the original finish Porsche used.

I believe Mark paints his fans. There is no way to get an original finish by using paint.

Again, Mark does brilliant work if that's the look you're wanting.
    I also had a fan/hub done by Mark. Exceptional. Not painted.
    Believe the "yellowish" tint is leftover cosmoline, which in U.S. removal was generally up to the dealership personnel/equipment. (I know firsthand).
    If "restore" is to bring back to a former condition, then Mark's work is spot-on.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullit View Post
    I also had a fan/hub done by Mark. Exceptional. Not painted.
    Believe the "yellowish" tint is leftover cosmoline, which in U.S. removal was generally up to the dealership personnel/equipment. (I know firsthand).
    If "restore" is to bring back to a former condition, then Mark's work is spot-on.
    Let's put aside the "yellowish" debate for right now. (I have NOS fans that were sold as spare parts and have owned low mileage European delivery cars that had/have the yellowish tint.)
    The "former condition" of a fan and housing is a very rough casting. Period. That is simply the way they came from Porsche. They never had a consistent, smooth finish the way Mark does them. The 1973 sales brochure alone should make this an undisputed fact.

BTW: If it's not paint, what is it?

I have an NOS fan that I got from Bill Doyle's incredible stash of parts. It is as Frank describes. The fan on my low mile, Italian 73S also has a rough, yellowish finish. Photo in show your engine thread.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

member #1515
    The yellowish tinge was on the euro cars too. They were never painted or coated, just treated with chromate to slow down oxidation and coated with a waxy,oily substance.
    Before shipment the complete car,(under and over), was sprayed with something like cosmoline which the dealers cleaned off to differing degrees.
    Last edited by RSTarga; 06-07-2015 at 01:08 PM.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Mark did my fan also...superb!

Vic Rola

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    I have an NOS fan that I got from Bill Doyle's incredible stash of parts. It is as Frank describes. The fan on my low mile, Italian 73S also has a rough, yellowish finish. Photo in show your engine thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    The yellowish tinge was on the euro cars too. They were never painted or coated, just treated with chromate to slow down oxidation and coated with a waxy,oily substance.
    Before shipment the complete car,(under and over), was sprayed with something like cosmoline which the dealers cleaned off to differing degrees.
    The 700 Mile S fan, courtesy of David Conklin

Name:  7390963914_c72673b3d2_o.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  335.8 KB

https://www.flickr.com/photos/807244...7630169538658/
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624