Thread: Fan restoration

hey why not go full bling ?

But seriously I do believe Sierra Madre is selling OEM fans for about $950

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com...74-p16761.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

My fan cleaned up well after being left for 1,5 year in the parts cleaner (mineral spirit), and then I just left it unprotected for half a year in hope to get it to build up oxide and get a bit darker.
    The housing was corroded so I decided to glass-bead-blast it lightly and then left it for some time as I did with the fan, but it didn't make much difference.

This is how it looks after some coats with Gibbs Oil (yes, I may get new yellow zink on the center)

Bengt

In an effort to beat a dead horse or at least a dying one, it occurs to me that there were three distinct metals used to make fans/surrounds: sand cast aluminum; die cast aluminum, and; die cast magnesium. Varied by year of production. Appearance must be different for some of these and the surface somewhat different. Solutions to restoration vary. As Frank has pointed out the new Porsche version is subject to Porsche's love of the God almighty buck and doesn't do the job. If your fan is in pretty good shape, you bead blast it an oil it. Maybe treat it with some of the yellowing materials suggested in the other thread. You can buy a version from Sierra Madre who I think are really reputable. Looks to me like they are probably selling the new Porsche version. Question there is whether a light sanding and/or blasting followed by Gibbs Oil and/or yellowing agent would create the desired look. This in the art world would be a forgery. You can go with Mark's work which I believe in the art world is euphemistically called "in the style of". And of course you can go for the "holly grail search" to find an NOS one. As pointed out above it's all in the eye of the owner and not necessarily the eye of the beholder. I'm sticking with Mark. Its gorgeous.

I have seen some gnarly fans. Some needed triage but most needed what Bengt accomplished above. Elbow grease and Gibbs

This is not to take away from the restoration work being shown originally. To each his own.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Fuller View Post
    While on the topic I am confused about this ceramic coating. If you google ceramic it infers things like porcelain, glass, pottery ie things that are cooked until they glow red hot and melted together. Now I know about ceramic coating exhausts and engine components and even the crowns on my tooth are all placed in a furnace and fired up good and hot.
    Now we have ceramic coated fans and even the grill on my 356 Porsche are ceramic coated. well I call foul - these items are painted with a new formulation of paint that is marketed as ceramic because the clear coat formulation is supposedly more durable than others.
    I welcome any clarification of the topic that confirms its not just glorified paint.
    Notwithstanding this has nothing to do with originality and whats right or wrong - just the misconception that I think is being promoted about what is actually a good product.
    Cerakote is the brand name. It is a coating much like "Gun Blue" but much more durable. I have used this product on Vintage Guns, Magnesium engine parts, and the clear Cerakote on Aluminum trim pieces like engine lid grills, bumper deco moldings, windshield moldings, etc. for both 356's and 911's. While trying to achieve a similar look to the original bright dip, or bright anodizing originally used, albeit close to the original, but not the same. As for the different magnesium, aluminum, steel and or metal parts: Cerakote has and makes many different colors of coatings to fit the specific needs of their customers. Recently I had a fan coated for a 73T on which I am working. I used a magnesium color that has a very natural look to it. I then took the fan and wiped it with a yellow/gold toner, giving the fan an original "not so uniform and perfect" finish with the look of cosmoline but with a finish that should last.
    Last edited by a356kid; 06-09-2015 at 07:31 AM.
    member 3143
    Had a few GREAT cars. Do I miss any of them? NO!!!
    However, I am Glad to have the one I have now:
    My wife Blanca NFS
    1967 Ford Fairlane 427 4 speed R code 1 of 72 cars
    1959 356 SunRoof Silver/Green

The fan in my 73.5 is magnesium. I know this because it's polished and the polish only lasts about 3 hours. This is just like the magnesium wheels I've owned.

I really like the idea of Cerakote. There's a dealer near me.

As for judging there is no judging manual for Porsche. That way the "in" group at PCA can get all the awards. At one time PCA was going to have national judging standards then they realized most of the cars that won were not accurate. They dropped that idea really fast.

Richard Newton
    Buying a Car at Monterey

This is the result of some light cleaning plus Gibbs to provide the natural mag aesthetic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Looks perfect to my eyes.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

Mark did my fan with excellent results. He will do coated or raw ,mag finish ,customer preference. S

Quote Originally Posted by Richardnew View Post
    The fan in my 73.5 is magnesium. I know this because it's polished and the polish only lasts about 3 hours. This is just like the magnesium wheels I've owned.

I really like the idea of Cerakote. There's a dealer near me.

As for judging there is no judging manual for Porsche. That way the "in" group at PCA can get all the awards. At one time PCA was going to have national judging standards then they realized most of the cars that won were not accurate. They dropped that idea really fast.

Richard Newton
    Buying a Car at Monterey
    Well Richard, you just know I'll have to take exception to most of that statement! On the judging manual you're partially right, but that wasn't the reason it was dropped. I went to both of the schools that did happen,,,,,,but politics did rear its ugly head.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.