Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 911 R with 1968 912 roots..

Door fitment and almost finished with this area. I'd say another 2 easy hours adding spot welds and filing. Under and around jack point will look original. Imagining steel flares, Is it verboten to cut a narrow body? I'm torn..
    Quitting for the day before mistakes are made.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Fixer; 01-08-2016 at 04:04 PM.
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Exactly 2 hours to clean up the driver's side rocker and quarter. More unseen corrosion prevention to do behind this work, but essentially the metal work is cleaned up here.

Corrosion begins many times in stressed areas. These flange'd areas located at the bottom of the doors and rear most section of the rocker, I believe (imho) to be not welded enough from Karmann. {there are other areas too) I approx. tripled the number of spot welds in this area. I did the same on the passenger side. Now i need to get out "the hose" and blast in primer again.

Place a drop light behind your work to find any weld pin holes and be sure to wipe down your clean metal with metal conditioner to prevent rust while working toward priming the tub.

Moving on to smuggler's box rust and floor rust under pedal cluster.

Have a great night, -Matt
    Last edited by Fixer; 01-08-2016 at 04:02 PM. Reason: clarity
    Haverford Pennsylvania

I had to replace the door striker adjustable attachment bracket and wanted to show what isn't easily seen.
    I can't get into any of these tight areas where i welded the door lock post or the rear quarter with the grinder to smooth welds for cosmetics. It's more important that when the galvanizing primer cures that these seams are sealed well and another coat of epoxy primer applied.

After seam sealing and epoxy primer I'll sparingly [only where needed] spray 3M Rocker and Body Shutz to seal these repairs from moisture penetration and hide the welding work entirely.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

4.0 hours today.

This 3M body sealant is very similar to what Porsche used and the same color. It dries with the same hardness as well. I've found this tan sealant used on other Porsche models as well.

Did more cavity painting inside the rocker to quarter area after welding and closed up the wheelhouse below the torsion tube. Used 18 gauge quality mild steel sheet i pre primed with galvanizing primer. I'm 5.5 weeks into the tub and hope to have the tub close to being ready for epoxy primer by the 8 week mark. Will be a push..

Taking the kids to my Parents for a visit, have a great night everyone.
    Last edited by Fixer; 01-11-2016 at 04:28 AM. Reason: worn keyboard
    Haverford Pennsylvania

great work!
    Benny and the jets - My '77S Rebuild Adventure

Thanks obscene, where in PA ?,..

I only had time to clean up the wheelhouse weld, been very busy. I wanted to be sure I welded this 18 ga. very hot. In order to do so, I ended up piling on more material in spots which doesn't look pretty for the photos. But I promised to show it all. It definitely gets uglier before it get pretty again.

I plan to drill another 1/2" access hole inside and above this repair [rear seating area] that way i can spray galvanizing primer in there and keep tabs on it now and again to know it's right. I'll do the same for the other side which was largely corrosion free b/c it had a very liberal coating of gear and engine oil protecting that area all those years..

Lately I'm thinking about pulling the Type 4 heads and converting this motor to twin plug. I can raise the CR from 10:1 to 11:1 and gain 20 hp if the experts are correct once dialed in. That would give this '68 912R 160-170 BHP with great torque and a very light engine coupled to it's original 5 peed.

Day dreaming about this car finished with vintage Pedro's roof rack, surf boards, cruising to the beach with the family.
    Last edited by Fixer; 01-13-2016 at 02:04 PM. Reason: keyboard issues
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
    Thanks obscene, where in PA ?
    Valley Forge. I think we connected on Pelican recently in my thread about fitting a fiberglass rear bumper.
    Benny and the jets - My '77S Rebuild Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by obscene View Post
    Valley Forge. I think we connected on Pelican recently in my thread about fitting a fiberglass rear bumper.
    Right, how did it work out ? pm if you wish.-Matt
    Haverford Pennsylvania

I hope i'm not coming off like "look at me" It's not why I'm posting. There's so much talent and more knowledgeable people on this forum. I want to document this tub restoration and this is the best way for me to prove i made a solid repair of it.

Another 5 or 6 hours over the past 2 days after work..

I'm trying to get the little stuff done and ready for primer as i approach the harder suspension pan and other fussy front end repairs.

I cleaned up the driver's rocker repair welds so things are pretty flush. The deleted engine cable pull area looks much better and will require very little filler. I sealed up the rocker repair seams with lead because it doesn't absorb any potential moisture and is superior to plastic in every way if bonded right.
    Last edited by Fixer; 01-15-2016 at 04:58 PM.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Another 4 hours. I woke up at 5:30 for some reason. The driver's side fender joining panel is repaired but needs more cleaning up for primer. Once primed and 3M Rocker Shutz'd/Body Shutz'd it will look fine. I am not going the 'R' route in these areas, they need corrosion protection. Making the patch panel took 15 minutes, not sure why it took me so long to do this repair. Going cycling with my Son Matthew.
    Haverford Pennsylvania