Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 911 R with 1968 912 roots..

Another thread . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...quot-911R-quot

Some cool details, here. Car sold for ton, too?

And sorry if this is a repeat . . . too lazy to slog through the other 17 pages, right now

We Can Be Heroes

[QUOTE=LongRanger;872774]Another thread . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...quot-911R-quot

Some cool details, here. Car sold for ton, too?

Thanks LoneRanger,

I've decided it better to keep this 912 a 4 banger though. It'll be a injected, turbo Type 4 (914) 2.0L with short stroke and hopefully a good revver. I'll balance everything and then have it dynamically balanced and then probably blow it up ! Should make between 160 - 170 BHP @ 9 psi, with very good torque, but many out there are making much higher HP, but I'd like it to last. The motor will save close to 200 lbs out back. I can lift the 914 2.0L alone, I weighed it in long block form in at 167 LBS. Type 4s are very durable too but not nearly as durable with higher power as an air cooled 911 engine (obviously).

Speaking of which, I was messaged over on the bird forum by a really cool guy the other day with a rusty 1970 911T. He would like to talk about me repairing the rust.

I hope he decides to do the work, i really enjoy it. I'd save him a lot of headache and money.
    Last edited by Fixer; 05-26-2016 at 10:58 AM. Reason: clarity
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Fine tuning the 911R wings and preparing the trunk lid for epoxy.
    The trunk lid absolutely has it's original sepia brown paint on its inside.
    It also has it's original factory paint runs and of course some dents.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Fixer; 05-24-2016 at 03:40 AM.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

The nice aspect of DIY resto is that it takes a long time and you have the time to digest all of your design concepts for the car [if modding]

I plan on doing this restoration with a light 'R' theme but have also wanted a few rally touches as well. But regardless, the car will be not modified enough that I cannot buy new early steel fenders and other trim bits and bring it all back to stock original one day. Everything is temporary in other words.

Anyway, It finally came to me what accent color would look right on a Beige Gray Porsche. I chose light yellow with black PORSCHE script for this car. When looking at the color composition of the paint formula for Beige Gray it's make up is White, Black and a large amount of Yellow and that's it. This yellow stripe mock up is too bright [just paper] and too thin but it worked to visualize. The vinyl stripes with be lighter, flat and wider.

Thanks nein14 for the outlaw wheel suggestion but I want to use my original date stamped steel wheels because these offfer the 912 look. The spare wheels are cool but too much A 356 Outlaw wheel imo for my 912R.

I'm straightening all the dings and high spots in the trunk lid now [many]and should have it painted soon. I painted the lid hinges and bolts in preparation.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

At least 8-10 hours straightening metal in both directions [bad Golfer?], sanding, priming and block sanding the hood.
    No way i'll be cutting a hole in it for a center fill tank. I'll happily open the lid to fill up. The 'factory' paint runs have been sanded away
    as I'd end up taking credit for those in the future..

I'll apply a sealer coat and then 3 color coats very soon.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Not too many hours but a couple easy wet sanding sessions with 600 gt before and after the sealer coat. The hood looks very good and is still wet. No need to paint it laying horzontal and waste time doing each side because it's not a metallic paint. 2 med-wet coats inside the hood and 3 on the outside. 10 min flash between.
    What'd you think my chances of getting hand modeling gigs are?

I'm not happy with the "light yellow" vinyl i ordered it looks like a dark yellow to me.

Who do you guys use for vinyl?
    Haverford Pennsylvania

I parted out a 914 2.0 with over 100,000 miles on it, sold the motor to a friend who put a Bernie Bergman turbo kit on it and used it for street and track events in his 914. He said it was 230 hp, the motor never blew up and he removed the turbo when he sold the car because it was too fast. I used to shift my ice racer type 4 at 7K or above regularly, stock bottom end, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 66S View Post
    I parted out a 914 2.0 with over 100,000 miles on it, sold the motor to a friend who put a Bernie Bergman turbo kit on it and used it for street and track events in his 914. He said it was 230 hp, the motor never blew up and he removed the turbo when he sold the car because it was too fast. I used to shift my ice racer type 4 at 7K or above regularly, stock bottom end, no problem.
    Sounds good to me 66S ! The 200 lbs less weight out back also sounds good. I've never driven a 912 and really look forward to it.

I just bought my first batch of body seals for this car. I wish i wasn't quite as busy with other projects because I'm getting so close..
    Last edited by Fixer; 06-05-2016 at 06:26 PM.
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
    What'd you think my chances of getting hand modeling gigs are?
    Modeling as a doctor who does proctological exams without gloves is a possibility.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Modeling as a doctor who does proctological exams without gloves is a possibility.
    LOL, i was a little horrified by those pics.

I've been re caulking [for weeks] the motor home fenestration with a black loctite polyurethane caulk that's really tough to completely remove without a lot of solvent. Lot of hard work. My 13 year old Son was BB-gun target practicing on/at his old iPad and added to the amount of motor home work by blowing out one of the cab door windows over the weekend [ricochet].
    On the bright side my hands look a little better today.
    Haverford Pennsylvania