Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 911 R with 1968 912 roots..

The 912R is a great idea. Have had a similar idea for a build rattling around in my head for a while. And I agree with Frank. I hate having a car where I have to explain what it isn't.
    Keith E.
    Early 911S Registry #941
    1978 911SC Dirty Penny

Quote Originally Posted by boba View Post
    There are a few hotrod 912's out there, including at least one Polo engine build. The essence of lightness can be applied to your build and personal touches can make it your own. It's your money and your car, understand what you wish to achieve and stay focused on your plan and end result. If this is an investment venture I think most here would advise to totally understand what it will cost and the potential return. If it's a passion to fulfill a vision by all means have at it.
    There are two 912 POLO cars currently on the road. Mine and one at the 901 Shop out of FL. There are about 4 to 6 more in the works. I'll be building one for a friend. A cage, carbon body panels, etc. A light 69 912 LWB car.
    Here is a picture of one of the engines going in a car being built in So Cal. It's a 2.7 with LN's, CWM heads, Carrillo rods, big cams, etc. They are looking at about 240hp.
    Mine is built with 993 parts. Most of the newer builds are using 993RS parts or bigger.
    I just did a lunch run from Denver to Steamboat Springs this weekend. When the roads are tight, (30 to 90 mph) on the mountain passes my car could hang with everything but the GT3's and the new Turbos.
    With a POLO you get 6 cylinder long hood power, 7 inches farther forward, 80 to 100 pounds lighter, spin to 7200, and torque like the 3.0's and 3.2's down around 3500 to 3800 rpm. They cost more than installing a used engine but are about the same price if you are putting in a fresh engine from a well known builder.
    www.reSeeWorks.com The first one.

For you DIY guys, Dean sells kits. Build it yourself and save some money.
    www.PoloMotor.com and http://www.advanceperformanceeng.com/about_us
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 06-29-2015 at 07:25 AM.

I really like the idea of building an expensive home in a bad neighborhood.

If it were my bank account I would built a really decent 912. They're almost as fast as a 911 and they handle almost as well.

Just getting this project running is going to consume huge amounts of money. Doing a 991R clone will take even more money. Will the 911R be any more fun to drive? Maybe.

The clone market is a real money pit. You better love your clone because the market sure doesn't.

Richard Newton

Thumbs up

A few of my favorite '911' hot rods started out as 912s..........

Do what you want Matt.............. then drive the wheels off it...............
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

You guys are great here. (not just sucking up)
    I'm happily surprised. To be frank, I didn't even expect much of a response, (btw, thanks for your's Frank, helpful)

You've ALL answered questions I've yet to ask. Very pleased I became a member here. (Chuck, I did pay the 45 bucks online using paypal)

I'm no stranger to investing my limited time (Wife and Kids and job), limited money and sweat into home-built projects that are worth little in the end.

But I'm still on the fence as to how to power this swb car. There are very powerful non Porsche air cooled 4's out there (over 200 BHP) but they are not cheap to build ($10,000)

Today a local friend offered me his non running '77 911S for around $6000. It has a 959 body kit but nice interior. He bought it to flip.
    I think he'll sell it for less though. It's a 959 bodied targa and red too btw so it's really bad and worth little. It does have a nice original interior though which i could sell to help fund this after removing the power train, ignition, gauges and oil system.

Anyway, I usually work at a fast clip but I'm making a mould for a custom chin spoiler for the below '83 928 RS i use as my daily driver.

I painted and fabricated everything with this one in less than a year in my spare time so my SWB car won't "break the bank" so to speak.

I am concerned with the possibility of wanting to sell it one day to get into another 911 so i had better just relax and think it through and with the help here

I am sure we'll decide on the best route to take.

Once this spoiler mould is finished we can start with the obvious metal repairs before we move those motor mounts.
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Wink

My 2cents:

It's never going to be a 911 (R or otherwise, regardless of what engine is in it). I wouldn't have any problem making a hot rod out of a 912 (with or without a 911 engine) but I would keep the 912 badges on it rather than create a replica of someting. That car has good bones, and good 912s are just as hard to come by as a good 911. It's not someting to be ashamed of. Hell, keep the engine and fly the 912 flag - you'll pull away from those poorly balanced 911s in the twisties.

912 POLO #2
    On #1 I kept my 912 badge
    When I built this car I didn't think in terms of 911 or 912. My reference point was how could I get the most power, have it be reliable, in the smallest package, and get the best handling I can in a SWB 900 series car..
    The engine is about to go over 10,000 miles.

Finding a clean 912 might be harder than a 911 as most weren't taken care of as well as the 911's.
    I haven't done anything to the body of this car other than repaint the front bumper.
    Body work is the financial killer on a lot of projects if done properly and you aren't prepared for the cost. It's hard to really know what's under the paint. These cars weren't worth enough 20 years ago to repair them like they are repaired today. Having worked with Dave DiMaria at Vintage Car Works who's customer Slate Grey 66 911 did well at the Parade this year and 59 GS Carrera Cab at Amelia, I've come to appreciate just how expensive it can be.
    Whether a 911 or 912 spend the extra money and get a good one. A engine will look darn cheap compared to body restoration if done well.

I went on a Denver to Steamboat Springs lunch run on Saturday. Over Burthoud Pass, 12k and Gore Pass, 10 ish. Several 100 to 110 mph spurts here and there. I had by far the oldest car. On the tight roads I could stay with all but the very latest high power stuff. At rest stops people are very curious.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 06-29-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    My 2cents:

It's never going to be a 911 (R or otherwise, regardless of what engine is in it). I wouldn't have any problem making a hot rod out of a 912 (with or without a 911 engine) but I would keep the 912 badges on it rather than create a replica of someting. That car has good bones, and good 912s are just as hard to come by as a good 911. It's not someting to be ashamed of. Hell, keep the engine and fly the 912 flag - you'll pull away from those poorly balanced 911s in the twisties.
    I agree and just found and bought a complete '68 912 motor with 70k miles. It's absolutely complete, even has the factory foil stickers on the engine tin !

Quote Originally Posted by cmpski View Post
    912 POLO #2
    On #1 I kept my 912 badge
    When I built this car I didn't think in terms of 911 or 912. My reference point was how could I get the most power, have it be reliable, in the smallest package, and get the best handling I can in a SWB 900 series car..
    The engine is about to go over 10,000 miles.

Finding a clean 912 might be harder than a 911 as most weren't taken care of as well as the 911's.
    I haven't done anything to the body of this car other than repaint the front bumper.
    Body work is the financial killer on a lot of projects if done properly and you aren't prepared for the cost. It's hard to really know what's under the paint. These cars weren't worth enough 20 years ago to repair them like they are repaired today. Having worked with Dave DiMaria at Vintage Car Works who's customer Slate Grey 66 911 did well at the Parade this year and 59 GS Carrera Cab at Amelia, I've come to appreciate just how expensive it can be.
    Whether a 911 or 912 spend the extra money and get a good one. A engine will look darn cheap compared to body restoration if done well.

I went on a Denver to Steamboat Springs lunch run on Saturday. Over Burthoud Pass, 12k and Gore Pass, 10 ish. Several 100 to 110 mph spurts here and there. I had by far the oldest car. On the tight roads I could stay with all but the very latest high power stuff. At rest stops people are very curious.
    Love these Polo motors^, but I'm happy I've found a great motor. I will trick this one out an squeeze a bit more power out while shedding pounds as an R build

912R it is ! (I hate indecision)Name:  sd.JPG
Views: 961
Size:  144.1 KBName:  glove.JPG
Views: 966
Size:  103.4 KBName:  nose.JPG
Views: 943
Size:  142.7 KB
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania

I think it's great you have a plan.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
    912R it is ! Name:  sd.JPG
Views: 961
Size:  144.1 KBName:  glove.JPG
Views: 966
Size:  103.4 KBName:  nose.JPG
Views: 943
Size:  142.7 KB
    Good for you man! There is no right or wrong answer here, but I think down the line you will be happy for this decision. Your conundrum made me think what I would have done myself and I came to the same conclusion as you. The only other acceptable alternative (to me) would have been to follow DanM's advise and run it with a 911 engine but 912 badging (for the same reason I'm not a fan of backdating).

I'm looking forward to following your build, keep the pics and details coming!

Cheers!

Johan
    SEARCHING FOR ENGINE 6208326 (last seen in car with VIN 9111101452)

-70 911E
    -84 3,2 Sold